Replacement radiator for ''29 Graham Paige?

GrahamPaige29

Hi guys my radiator for my 1929 GrahamPaige 612 is worse than I thought. It's got lots of leaks in the core and to record it would be too expensive for me right now. Anybody have experience using a more modern aluminum radiator adapted to fit?  This car is more of a driver for me so I'm not super concerned with authenticity.   I found this two row aluminum radiator from Griffin online. The size is similar. It has a "trans cooler" on it. Will this be an issue or can I just ignore that?  Thanks. 

Click to view larger image
Have one to sell? Sell it yourself

Griffin Universal Rat Rod Radiator w/ Automatic Transcooler 19x27.5 TCBR 1-70212

Click to view larger image
Have one to sell? Sell it yourself

Griffin Universal Rat Rod Radiator w/ Automatic Transcooler 19x27.5 TCBR 1-70212

IMG_4539.JPG

If originality isn't a problem, I would just recore it with a traditional radiator core. It would be less costly than replacing the original type core and would probably work as good, if not better than the original and any good shop should be able to fit one easily.  I would think that an aluminum unit might be overkill and you may not find one that would fit properly.

Hey guys.  It's a four row copper but the tubes are way thin.  One of the problems is I stupidly cut some access flaps in the top tank to clear out the scale and now that they're soldered up, the guy at the rad store says that's an issue with recoring it.  Rrgh.  I'm a rank amateur some times.  The Griffin model is the only downflow one I've found online that looks suitable.  I've read that the two row aluminums are ok since the tubes are larger.  I'm still thinking about it...

My Dodge Brothers 8 radiator has a cutout hole covered over in the top tank. The radiator shop put the top tank back on after rodding the core. Is the problem that the patch will fall off?

The shop owner was fairly negative about some of the aluminium radiators being imported. They are very thin with a short life expectancy.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

Hey you guys.  I am kind of wary of the cheap aluminum radiators but I did order one from Summit racing.  I'm going to go over the river to pick it up tonight from my Post Office Box.  It wasn't that expensive (which is probably a bad sign)  I'll see if it's a decent fit in my cowling.  If not, I'm returning it and will contact Graham Man for a possible replacement.  If they're old, then I'm back to the option of re-coring an original.  I appreciate that my Graham Paige is a more "unique" car but man, finding parts can be a pain.  Those Model A guys could practically build one from new parts.

Yes the 1930 615 radiator I have you could take someone out with, it is that heavy.  Just let me know it has been stored in a dry barn since about 1950, I picked it up with some other Graham parts last year.  I have not tested it.   Came with a radiator shell, cowl lights and head lights, also have a painted windshield frame, spare wood wheel rims.  Let me know what you need.  Are you going to make it to the GOCI Meet in Brockville Ontario?  June 18 2019.

Hey you guys. I looked at the Griffin radiator.  It was slightly too big to fit in my cowling and the neck of the fill cap is not long enough.  I suppose I'm looking at a re-core at this point.  Graham Man (S) I am going to take my radiator to a shop in Hamilton on the weekend and have them appraise it.  We'll see if I have to mortgage the house to get a re-core.  I don't think it's the type of thing you tackle yourself without the torch and experience.  I will be going to the Brockville meeting next year.  I met a nice couple from the Graham club down at the Greenfield Village old car show in Dearborn last month.  They are going too.  I am also going to Hershey for the AACA meeting in a couple of weeks.  I'll let you know how the estimate for my radiator works out and if it's shot, we can  talk about your offer.  Thanks a lot guys. 

Beltfed thanks.  New stuff sucks.  Probably made in China.

Good morning, Graham man. Is there any possibility of selling me a split rim  for a Graham Paige ?    If I am not mistaken it is the same size for the 28 Dodge Brothers Senior . !9 inch wood wheel . The width is 41/2 inches. I would appreciate it.

About you radiator problem. You need a large capacity rad. At least 4 tubes. These flat heads runs at high temperatures and it needs cooling . It is cheaper to replace the radiator than the engine. The rad man who rejected your rad because you cut flaps on the tank is not being truthful. The flap can be silver soldered. There are tube manufactures who can use your old tank and make a new core to fit the header. The only difference will the shape of the tubes and fins. Some of these guys advertise in the  Hemmings Classic Car magazines   Forget about the aluminun  made in China garbage.