Differential Pig

Differential, carrier and cap assembly is what GM calls it.  Technically speaking the differential is only the pinions and their case which are then mounted to the carrier and cap via the side bearings.

Dopey terms like; rear differential on a two wheel drive car, or a rear tail light. or the misuse of rim and wheel and of course hub cap or wheel disc all by people that have English {even American English} as their first language are rampant and a dime a dozen.  

1 hour ago, Spinneyhill said:

Where do all these dopey terms come from?  :wacko:

The USA. icon_razz.gif

Pumpkin was common usage up where I live 40 years ago and probably still is. I try to refrain from using colloquial terms like that since we now regularly communicate with people around the world. It was not so back then. I probably slip more often than I realize.

3 hours ago, Tinindian said:

Differential, carrier and cap assembly is what GM calls it

As do or did Dodge Brothers. From my 1934 Parts List.

Speaking of odd terms, when a building is completed and the consenting authority is happy it complies with the NZ building code, a Certificate of Code Compliance (or Code Compliance Certificate) is issued. But very few people call it that. For some reason, it is known as a "code of compliance", which is another meaningless term, like "going forward" in management speak.

Do they keep their pigs in a sty, then, or just in the back seat?

My Grandmother used to get "stys" in her eye.  Saw them, saw her spit in her hand, rub her wedding ring in the spit and then run the ring over the "sty".  When I had my inter ocular implant (cataract surgery) I learned that the sand that the sandman leaves in our eyes is a secretion from glands along the edges of our eyelids (between our lashes) that help lubricate our eyes.  When one of these get plugged it causes a swelling (a sty), dragging the edge of a ring along the eyelid dislodges this plug.  Therein debunks at least two old wives tales and it only took seventy five years in my case.

Still do not know about "pumpkins" though.?

Bloo, I like it! A bloke a couple of doors along from us has taken pigs to the sale yards in the back seat of his Triumph 2000 PI. Nearly a 2 hour drive!

Back to the OP. Anybody got a spare diff., carrier and cap assembly for a 1929 Dictator FC?

By 1934 Studebaker didn't use that system. The carrier and cap were part of the axle housing.