Leak at rear end gaskets 1929 DeSoto K

GaryBudd

Where, exactly? Pinion (i.e. front of differential housing) or where the differential bolts to the axle housing?

Where does the oil actually come from? The gasket or up the thread of a bolt or two? Every bolt has one end in the air and one in the oil so oil tracks up the threads, easily.

Also, what about the rear cover? It is usually a pressed steel part with a cork gasket under it. People overtighten the bolts, compressing the gasket locally and permanently bending the rim of the cover. It is very hard to get that cover to seal after that. Mine is leaking out of the bottom bolt. Grrrr.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi Gary. Pinion seals are like sleeping dogs to me. From your initial posting, I guess you would enjoy regarding them likewise. Try the easy way out first. That is changing to a significantly heavier gear oil. In your case, I highly recommend going directly to SAE 250. You do not need hypoid. The slightly increased drag in your slow speed, simple spiral bevel gears is insignificant, unless you store AND drive your car in below freezing temperatures. Please let us know if this does the trick for you. I think your chance of success is greater than even.    -   Carl 

• Like 1