1936 Desoto Replacement Running Board Mat

I am looking to get someone to re-manufacture running board matting for my Airstream Desoto. 

A guy in Canada said he can do them.

I was mainly looking for recommendations by members who have had them made and happy with the final product.

Also what is a good glue, I was hearing windscreen glue does the job ???

Peter

Most all of the runningboard rebuilders  mould the mat directly to the board and it usually wraps down the front. My '36 Dodge uses a mat formed around a steel plate that fastens to the boards with tabs. I would think that yours is similar. While the moulded on mats look good they are not quite correct for some vehicles. A man named Huntley Acuff here in the states, I believe he's in Georgia, can make the correct mats if he still does it.Either option will look good but I have no idea of how long they last.

I had Hunley Acuff do the running board mats for my '36 Dodge a few years ago and they came out perfect. Are your mats molded directly to the running board or as on jpage's and my '36 Dodge are they molded on a separate metal core affixed to the running board with tabs? If it's the latter, I had a second set of cores made when I did the Dodge  and if the measurements for the De Soto are the same, I'd be happy to work out something with you. I have enough tabs to do one side but would need 20-25 tabs to do the other side properly. Perhaps I could save you some shipping from Aussie on your cores. Let me know more about your running boards. I'll help if I can.

Thanks everyone for your information that has helped a lot. Mine has the mats on steel core which then fits to running boards with tabs.

36 D2 Coupe i will send some photos to you and some measurements. I have been using a guy in Muncie to get larger parts back to Auz.

Regards Peter W

36 D2, did these mats fit over your existing boards?

My boards are in excellent condition and I want to have them covered but most want to make me complete new boards.

The '36 mats only extend a short distance over the outside edge of the boards as there is a metal moulding that runs along the lower edge to carry the fender moulding through, that's why the full molded on mats don't work well on those cars. 

There's another issue - the running board moulding. The mouldings were missing from our coupe and I haven't been able to locate even a sample to get copied in over 50 years. Does anyone have a ratty piece available to copy? Also were they bright or painted? I have seen them both ways in photos.

The runningboard mouldings on a '36 are painted body color. I got a new set from L & L Antique Auto Trim but I think they are out of business or at best very part time. Last number I had for them was 417-476-2871, they were in Pierce City, Mo. Wouldn't hurt to give them a try. I can send you measurements and photos if needed.  had to use a modern fastener on them as the original ones did not fit the new trim, otherwise they fit perfectly. I might be interested in those board cores if the other guy doesn't want them.