1926 chrysler 4?

1926 Chrysler model 58 four cylinder ..  Got this about a month ago, so I started the general prep before trying to start it after sitting about 8 years.. Cleaned oil pan, took off gas tank & vacuum tank and cleaned them. Installed new plug & coil wire. I then pushed the starter button on floor and it spun over good but of course didn't start.       What I noticed was it was throwing  out oil from the top of the inspection plate of the bell housing and started leaking out oil through the end plate of the starter.....  What is going on?   All this oil and why.  Is it the rear main ?

I don't know about the 4 cylinder models but the 6 cylinder series 62 (1927/8 model)has a bottom inspection cover that covers the flywheel, this cover has a weep hole that needs to be cleared. If yours has a similar cover then it maybe the case that this weep hole has blocked up and oil has gather in the inspection cover over the years, when you turned the engine over the flywheel has splashed this oil everywhere. Just a wild guess.

IMG_1667.jpg.8b712c4607f4b631a5886092aee78faf.jpg

yep..  it splashes everywhere..  My inspection  cover is on top.  I reached under the car and used a ice pick to see if any hole was there but didn't seem to find anything..  I'll get a closer look... maybe I'll drill one..  The oil looking substance was  very thin.  Like about 10 to 20wt. oil..   Could the transmission possibly leak into this.. I know it's a heaver weight oil..  I'll check the fluid level of the trans box..   

Seeing that you have a 28 - I was wondering if you could provide some info for me.   I have given up on my retirement project and have a flat four which I am told was from a 28 chrysler.  Has engine number 9406 A . How can I determine the origin of this engine.   Any help would be appreciated.

2 hours ago, edmacd said:

How can I determine the origin of this engine. 

1. Put up a photograph or two...
  2. Is that number stamped or cast?
  3. If that is stamped, where on the engine is the boss on which it is stamped?

Note it is not a flat four. That is a Subaru engine. It is a "flathead" four in slang terms.

The last Chrysler 4 was the model 52, in 1927-28. The last Dodge Brothers 4 was in 1928. The last Plymouth 4 was in 1932 and the Ply 4 was also used in some (Dodge) trucks up to about that time too.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

As Spinneyhill said.  Below is a drawing of a flat four or a pancake style engine.  The engine types  L-head and F-head are both technically "flat heads but the L-head is the one usually referred to as a flat head.  Attached also is a Commer TS-3 engine drawing.  This is a pancake "boxer" engine design as the pistons move towards each other.  Contrary to the "Boxter" by Porsche.

Good luck with your oil leak problem.  It maybe something quite simple.  I do hope it is.

pancake.jpg

engine type.jpg

commer-compression-cycle.png

On 5/7/2018 at 5:43 PM, maok said:

I don't know about the 4 cylinder models but the 6 cylinder series 62 (1927/8 model)has a bottom inspection cover that covers the flywheel, this cover has a weep hole that needs to be cleared. If yours has a similar cover then it maybe the case that this weep hole has blocked up and oil has gather in the inspection cover over the years, when you turned the engine over the flywheel has splashed this oil everywhere. Just a wild guess.

IMG_1667.jpg.8b712c4607f4b631a5886092aee78faf.jpg

Found it !   Of course it was stopped up.. 

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:24 PM, Tinindian said:

commer-compression-cycle.png

This Boxer interesting, a shared cylinder and super charged as well?

Is that an injector in the middle?

Or is there a carburetor in front of that pump and this is a spark plug?

What did these come in?

I have never seen one.

JACK M I was not trying to hijack this thread, only trying to show how common usage/mis-usage made the saying a picture is worth a thousand words a true fact.  For your information check the links below.  My Grandfather drove a 1911 and a 1917 Commer truck before he was assigned a 1934 Diamond T that he was assigned a Chev in 1958.  Winnipeg had a large fleet of Commer trucks in the 50's.  What a beautiful sound the engine made almost as nice as a Merlin.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=commer+ts3+animation&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjAk4SCuI3bAhWL3YMKHXihAjAQ1QIInAEoAQ&biw=1280&bih=918

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commer_TS3

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2017/06/dissecting-duramax-getting-inside-six-generations-gms-6-6l-diesel-dominator/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fot_tyoqMRo

Thanks Tin.

Sorry if I hijacked.

I had just never seen an engine like this and now see that it is diesel.

Very cool.

The guy that has to make three trips to find the right wrench in that last link reminds me of someone with my habits.