1936 Plymouth Cabriolet. help needed

Ric Dean

1936 Plymouth Cabriolet. help needed

… I found this 1936 Plymouth Cabriolet Body in an old Logging Camp. I was able to Identify the year and Make by the Serial no. Plate and Body Buck Tag.

I have a chance to buy a 1935 Ply Frame, is that a direct mount for the 36 Ply Cabriolet?

An understatement for sure, In time other parts will be needed.

Thank you, Ric

36 Ply Cabrio LH Windshield area 1 600p .jpg

convertible top assembly might be tough to come by for one of these.  I had a 36 Chrysler convertible which shares much of the same top parts and ended up having to have an set of top brackets for the mounting pegs cast when I couldn't find them anywhere.  Fortunately I had all the steel and cast parts,  but I was missing the wood front header bow and these clamps.  I was fortunate enough to borrow a set from his car to use to have new ones cast and machined.  He ironically was missing the rack itself,  which he searched for for years before he paid a premium for a rough rack.

I did have extra clamp assemblies cast if you get that far and need a set,  I may be able to help you out. 

• Like 1

That 36 Plymouth coupe listed above for I believe 2100. would be a very valuable parts car for you,  from the looks of what is left with your car.  Coupes and convertibles share alot of parts,  sedans don't.  Buying coupe parts individually will be alot more expensive than that parts car. 

Give it a long hard though before passing up the opportunity. 

• Like 1

Looks as though the rumble lid isn't on it.  The coupe would be good pieces parts,  excluding the frame,  though maybe there is a way to beef it up like the factory did.  Odd what is missing and going to be hard to come up with.  Surprising the doors are there but the windshield frame is gone.  Looks like someone parted it out,  but unless they were doing a coupe,  seems the doors would have been high on the list to free it of. 

• Like 1

•  
4 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

convertible top assembly might be tough to come by for one of these.  I had a 36 Chrysler convertible which shares much of the same top parts and ended up having to have an set of top brackets for the mounting pegs cast when I couldn't find them anywhere.  Fortunately I had all the steel and cast parts,  but I was missing the wood front header bow and these clamps.  I was fortunate enough to borrow a set from his car to use to have new ones cast and machined.  He ironically was missing the rack itself,  which he searched for for years before he paid a premium for a rough rack.

I did have extra clamp assemblies cast if you get that far and need a set,  I may be able to help you out

… Thank you for your helpful reply, regarding the top parts the Center Folding Bow that hinges inside the body is there and the Door Window Frames are also there. My aim is to have a fun driver not a show car. If original likeness top assembly is not available for fabrication help.  I have 1935-6 Ford Cabrio and 36 Packard Cabriolet Folding Top assembly’s that still have some of  their original Fabric and Webbing for reference, they also include the original small Back Glass Window.  I figured this challenge would not be for the faint of heart.

… I will get back to you on the Clamp Assemblies

Thanks again, Ric

4 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

That 36 Plymouth coupe listed above for I believe 2100. would be a very valuable parts car for you,  from the looks of what is left with your car.  Coupes and convertibles share alot of parts,  sedans don't.  Buying coupe parts individually will be alot more expensive than that parts car. 

Give it a long hard though before passing up the opportunity. 

auburnseeker,  

... Yes I saw that, I wish I could avail myself to that opportunity, but sadly not able.

The 1935 Plymouth Rolling Chassis is only $200 if it will work? and is only 10 miles away.

Thanks, Ric

3 hours ago, keiser31 said:

I am thinking the convertible has a double frame for body support and not a "coupe" frame. A friend had some 1936 Chryslers and I believe that was the case.

Hi professor,

... Yes that is the case with this Cabrio Body it has a unitized Sub Frame and you could be correct and the Cabrio’s have purpose built Frame.  If that is the case I will have to modify any 35-36 Frame. The Body had a large tree growing up in the middle of it and we had to cut the Body in half to get it out of there. I’m divulging more than originally intended. :D

Thanks, Ric

2 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Frame or not, I would drag it home. It still has the doors & side windows in it and the sidemount hardware on it! Does it have the rumble seat lid?

‘keiser31’ “I would drag it home” (Done). I am sure the Doors would be gone If they could have unbolted them. The Door Garnish Moldings were still on it!:) It has Dual Side Mounts. No Rumble Lid.:(  Ric

2 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Looks as though the rumble lid isn't on it.  The coupe would be good pieces parts,  excluding the frame,  though maybe there is a way to beef it up like the factory did.  Odd what is missing and going to be hard to come up with.  Surprising the doors are there but the windshield frame is gone.  Looks like someone parted it out,  but unless they were doing a coupe,  seems the doors would have been high on the list to free it of. 

auburnseeker,  Sadly no Rumble Lid nor Windshield Frame.:( Remember this Body came out of an old Logging Camp they could have used Windshield in the Cabin. If they were after hard to find parts why would they leave behind The Door and W/S Garnish Moldings, The Cabrio Stainless Framed Door Glass the 2 Rumble Step Plates and Brackets, Cabriolet Dash, Rear Fenders, and Taillight Body’s, Dual Side Mount Hardware?

“very interesting”;)Ric

6 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I did have extra clamp assemblies cast if you get that far and need a set,  I may be able to help you out. 

If you didn't get a release from Chrysler to produce their parts, you better make sure "Handleman" doesn't turn you in for copyright  infringement. He tried to scare me saying he was going to turn me into Chrysler for reproducing their parts with out a release from them. 

• Like 1

I had 3 sets cast,  because I'me sure someone else out their like myself will be needing a set as theirs is missing.  If chrysler is so worried about that quantity and the high Profit I will make off from 3 sets, let them.  They can come to the house and I will personally let them watch me destroy them.  I'm pretty sure they have alot better things to spend a day's worth of someone's salary on as well as travel.  Plus I want them to bring a set with them to confirm that what I have is an infrigement on their product.  I'm sure they have a set laying around at their disposal.  

I'm pretty sure any profit is pretty nominal if non existent once any of my time is figured into the finishing work they still need and I would provide before they left. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I had 3 sets cast,  because I'me sure someone else out their like myself will be needing a set as theirs is missing.  If chrysler is so worried about that quantity and the high Profit I will make off from 3 sets, let them.  They can come to the house and I will personally let them watch me destroy them.  I'm pretty sure they have alot better things to spend a day's worth of someone's salary on as well as travel.  Plus I want them to bring a set with them to confirm that what I have is an infrigement on their product.  I'm sure they have a set laying around at their disposal.  

I'm pretty sure any profit is pretty nominal if non existent once any of my time is figured into the finishing work they still need and I would provide before they left. 

Ya, I feel the same way. I don't think it was the auto company worried about me making a few parts.

• Like 1