Can anyone identify this beauty?

SLA

I recently photographed this classic (among hundreds of others) in Havana, Cuba. It is one of the many classic American cars that operate as taxis in the city. At first, I thought it was a Buick of some sort, but the details are not right. If it is a Buick, it's been modified. It is in pristine condition. I would appreciate anyone's help in identifying it! Thanks much!

Classic-for-web.jpg

All those old American cars in Cuba have been modified. There is something about every one of them that is just off a bit.

And yes, quite a few with small diesel engines. A lot of ingenuity happening over the last fifty years or so keeping those old cars on the road.

Most are taxis, Being a car guy I tried to be car friendly with some guys hanging out, but they were all about the tourist $$. A dollar for a pic or a twenty for a half hour cruise.

Not a bad deal I guess. One of our tour features was a ride to a restaurant in one of these cars, ours was a 57 Ford convertible, In my circles it would have been considered a beater, but it mad the trip OK. 

And our guide made sure we got the long route.

When I was in Havana I was told by a taxi driver the engines are from Japan. A regulation there makes them replace them after 70,000 miles so they have plenty of life left in them when they arrive from Japan. What I want to know is how they rig up 5 speeds to the old 3 on the tree's linkage. i saw this several times while there.

16 hours ago, studeboy said:

When I was in Havana I was told by a taxi driver the engines are from Japan. A regulation there makes them replace them after 70,000 miles so they have plenty of life left in them when they arrive from Japan. What I want to know is how they rig up 5 speeds to the old 3 on the tree's linkage. i saw this several times while there.

Could be, the rumor I heard was diesels marine engines from Russia. Being communist and all it made sense to me.

Maybe both. I know those lo mile Japanese engine come here as well.

22 hours ago, studeboy said:

Japan. A regulation there makes them replace them after 70,000 miles

I understood it was the suspension, brakes etc. that had to be replaced after so many years, so the value of a car is very low when that is due. We import thousands of them each year. Many must be broken up for parts that can be exported.

Sounds to me like the car manufacturers cartel has the government by the short and curlies.

• Like 1