NormT93

53 Catalina 8 smoking once it's warm

HI Guys, I have a 1953 Custom Catalina with 42k original miles on it. it's been in my family since 1979. my Dad was the 2nd owner.

It's been sitting for about 8 years now after my Dad passed away. Last summer I got it running again after replacing the fuel tank, pump and lines.

it seemed to be running fine so I changed the oil (non detergent) and it was running ok.

I have started it a couple times since to let it run but now it starts smoking quite a bit once it is warm.

Looks and smells like oil burning, the smoke is dry, no moisture in it, so it's not burning antifreeze.

I have not had a chance yet to do a compression or leak-down test on it. 

Any suggestions on what to look for or typical problem areas on a motor that's been dormant for a long time.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Norman

It could have some stuck rings. I might try squirting a little liquid wrench or diesel down into the cylinders (they aren't aligned with the spark plug holes in that engine, so squirt over toward the drivers side of the car). Let it sit like that a couple of days. Maybe that will help.

How does it run? Could the carb be really rich? Choke not opening all the way or something? It has been my experience that many engines that are running slightly rich will oil smoke (blue), that wouldn't visibly smoke otherwise. Extremely rich will get you black smoke and soot.

Maybe it just needs to be driven. Cars that sit a lot really need it to run properly.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Thanks for the reply Bloo,

I also was wondering about a too rich situation, I'll have to check the carb and the heat riser  to make sure everything is loose and working.

My plan was to simply drive it and see if it improved after checking a few more things (waiting for good weather) and finishing the rebuild on the brakes.

Below are a couple pictures, the car is all original with the exception of the top being repainted back in the 80's.

When I was in my teens my dad bought a late 42 fastback that had been sitting for 30 years, after we got it running it smoked like crazy but improved quite a bit after driving it a while, fingers crossed it will be the same with this car. I really want it on the road this Spring it hasn't been registered since 1999.

53 Pont.JPG

IMG_0706.JPG

• Like 1

hi norm, very nice 53-2537SD you have there, out of 418,619 1953 pontiacs built from nov. 17, 1952 to nov. 20, 1953, only 17,979 were the chieftain custom catalina, i have owned the same model in the same 5315 color combination of laurel green roof over the milano ivory body since 1973, i was 17 then and i am the second owner of mine. i'm incline to agreed with bloo, about the problem most likely being stuck piston rings in the piston ring grooves. 

charles l. coker

1953 pontiac tech advisor

tech advisor coordinator

pontiac oakland club int'l.

53 2537sd with factory ac 002.JPG

santa monica 1973 006.JPG

santa monica 1973 007.JPG

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I guess I'll pull the plugs and get some oil into the cylinders and let them soak while I wait for the nice weather to return.

Norman

Thanks, that's the plan, I want to get it sorted out so I'm comfortable driving it anywhere. Between my Dad and I we had many old cars over the years, but the '53 was always his favorite, it was the one he never wanted to sell which is why I ended up with it. I actually took my MGB off the road for this year so I can focus on the Pontiac. The last time I drove it was in the mid 80's, although my Dad drove it very occasionally until 1999. 

However, with 15" of snow today, Spring is looking a little further away......