To paint or not to paint

Summershandy

Part of my brake system replacement I'm also cleaning things up. Instead of paying $$$ for sandblasting and powder coating, I'm just wire wheeling with some elbow grease. This is not a show car. I had an old can of grey rust killer and did the back side of the brake plate (for a poor choice of words). I like the flat colour. My question is, should I also paint the other side where the shoes are? I know absolutely nobody will see it but will it start rusting again or am I asking for problems like paint chipping and getting on the shoes/drums? I did get it down to bare metal. Thanks!

IMG_6838.JPG

Definitely paint it. It will do no harm and will do some good by keeping off rust. Many parts under the car were not painted when the car was new because the factory did not want to waste the money and they figured the car would be junked in a few years. To keep an old car good you need to paint and preserve things.

The backing plates from my 67 Delta 88 looked about the same once I cleaned them with oven cleaner.  No rust at all thanks to years of caked oil and grease. I painted mine in and out with "rust paint" (I used the paint from TP Tools, but POR, etc are all the same).  I left bare spots where the edges of the shoes ride on the backing plate, but otherwise painted the entire backing plate.

21 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

I paint the whole plate and put a dab of white lithium grease where the shoe sits.

I always apply a dab of grease also, but I figured the paint would be worn away in short order, so why generate paint dust and chips that might contaminate the brake shoes?

I do that too but I use Sil-Glide. Grease can contaminate the shoes if you ever get the brakes hot enough to melt it. Sil-Glide needs much more heat to melt. Mask the pads if paint chips are a concern or problem. I never got concerned because my rattle-can paint was so thin.