Power enhancement ideas

jonlabree

19 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I have actually thought about doing just a supercharger bolted on my engine and changing the pulley size to give a very mild boost that would be easy on the transmission. I never got really serious about it but I did check into it a little a few years ago. If I remember correctly it might be possible to do without swapping the whole engine.

ive thought about that too.

I probably had the best opportunity of all of us this last spring when I did the engine rebuild on the Red. I worked with 2seater on some "upgrades" and ended up with almost 200 HP which is just about right. I am happy with the driveability of the car.

This spring I pln on installing some new injectors and may drive mostly in the "Drive" setting around town for better throttle response. I'm 61 years old now and I don't have to be the fastest car in the valley, just fast enough to stay out of the other guys way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

I probably had the best opportunity of all of us this last spring when I did the engine rebuild on the Red. I worked with 2seater on some "upgrades" and ended up with almost 200 HP which is just about right. I am happy with the driveability of the car.

This spring I pln on installing some new injectors and may drive mostly in the "Drive" setting around town for better throttle response. I'm 61 years old now and I don't have to be the fastest car in the valley, just fast enough to stay out of the other guys way.

If I ever have to rebuild my engine I will probably do it the way you did. I like the idea of having a supercharger bolted on so i might check into doing that while I had the engine out but I doubt I would do it.

10 minutes ago, 63viking said:

Yes, 2seater, I had the chip done by "sinister Eng". It has 5 setting that I can control

!- normal + Water/Methanol.

2- Water/Methanol + NOS.

3- Just NOS.

4- No assists

5- Valet, Won't go over 50mph 

That looks excellent. I am familiar with Ryan's work and I really like what you had done. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I briefly mentioned the sort of outside the box idea some posts back, adding a centrifugal supercharger. I am considering trying the Eaton roots type blower as GM did it, but finding good parts is a bit more difficult than first thought. That brings me back to the possibility of a centrifugal, like a Vortech, Paxton etc... What I cannot seem to find on the net is dimensional information for the blowers themselves. After looking at the belt diagrams for a supercharged engine, the alternator is moved to the top rear and the power steering below it. It got me to thinking with those items moved, the space for the alternator might potentially be at least partially used for a belt driven centrifugal supercharger but I cannot find any actual dimensional info, just kits and such that are engineered for specific vehicles. Has anyone run across one that can offer some general overall size info?

3 hours ago, 2seater said:

I briefly mentioned the sort of outside the box idea some posts back, adding a centrifugal supercharger. I am considering trying the Eaton roots type blower as GM did it, but finding good parts is a bit more difficult than first thought. That brings me back to the possibility of a centrifugal, like a Vortech, Paxton etc... What I cannot seem to find on the net is dimensional information for the blowers themselves. After looking at the belt diagrams for a supercharged engine, the alternator is moved to the top rear and the power steering below it. It got me to thinking with those items moved, the space for the alternator might potentially be at least partially used for a belt driven centrifugal supercharger but I cannot find any actual dimensional info, just kits and such that are engineered for specific vehicles. Has anyone run across one that can offer some general overall size info?

Good photos here   Good photos here, too!

10 minutes ago, 89RedDarkGrey said:

I appreciate the pics but I am looking for information on a belt driven centrifugal blower, specifically a line drawing or similar with dimensions. Something like this from the Paxton site. It looks like the compressor side of a turbocharger with a larger inlet due to the lower speeds from the gear box on the other side.

_800px_superchargers.jpg

6 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I'm at loss as to how carbureted Mustang parts relate to the Buick Reatta?

It has no direct bearing but does get closer to what might work on our Reatta. Information on the dimensions for the remote mount belt driven superchargers is scant on the net. Sometimes a loosely related installation may inspire further research.

• Thanks 1

This is the reason I asked for input. This is one of my engines on the stand with the alternator removed. Minus the tabs that the alternator mounts on, the clear area is 9.0" wide and 7.0" deep measured from the fuel rail to the tip of the water pump pulley. The kits that are available for more mainstream installations are far more expensive than swapping an entire factory supercharged engine in. But, if something like a centrifugal blower might be scored in a swap meet or junkyard wreck, perhaps there would be possibilities, hence the request for dimensional information. 

20180129_201133.jpg

20180129_201205.jpg

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, 63viking said:

Do you want to retain you turbocharged setup and add a supercharger?

Or remove the turbo and install a supercharger?

I presently have two complete engines, both are turbocharged. The one in my example photo uses the entire engine to feed what is essentially an early GN turbocharger. It was not intercooled the first time around and in the meantime I rebuilt a second junkyard engine, twice (which is a separate story), and that is what is in the car now, fed from the front cylinders only to a Ford 4-cyl turbo. I am now putting together parts for a third engine which is at the machine shop now. After seeing what is possible with a supercharger, I though it may be a good time to try a different direction and check out the s/c world. The factory setup would be the most well explored and would be my preference if I can find the parts. I do admit your twin-charging idea is intriguing, but that might be for later.

I agree.  What you need is a supercharger & throttle body from a 95 or 94 Buick pontiac or olds, the intake manifold, front alt & power steering bracket and  p/s pump.

If you get parts from a bone yard, make sure you get the heater hose outlets.  If you find one that is complete take everything off the top of the motor including the throttle cable bracket and the reserve tank for the power steering pump and injectors.

I have some spare parts that I could let you have.

Jon..

41 minutes ago, 63viking said:

I agree.  What you need is a supercharger & throttle body from a 95 or 94 Buick pontiac or olds, the intake manifold, front alt & power steering bracket and  p/s pump.

If you get parts from a bone yard, make sure you get the heater hose outlets.  If you find one that is complete take everything off the top of the motor including the throttle cable bracket and the reserve tank for the power steering pump and injectors.

I have some spare parts that I could let you have.

Jon..

Thanks for the information. I'm interested in this too. Once you get those parts bolted on, what else do you need to do? Do you have to run oil lines to lubricate the supercharger bearings?

5 minutes ago, 63viking said:

No, the supercharger has it's own own in the front nose. It is a special oil and if you get a used one you should change it along 

with the clutch.  It is a simple job.

I learned something. Thanks. Don't I remember you having to modify the bracket that holds the throttle cables too?

1 hour ago, 63viking said:

Yes, I modified  the new one for the tv cable.

I had to add the little arm on the throttle body for the TV cable as Jon says just to use the tpi style manifold N/A. It just bolts on and can be transferred directly from the existing throttle body. Everything later than about '91 had electronic transmissions and the tv cable went away but all the provisions were still there, including the hole in the cable bracket for the cable.

Edited by 2seater (see edit history)

1 hour ago, 63viking said:

I have a spare intake, three superchargers, front bracket, and several throttle bodys.

Always have a spare. 

Good advice.

I have been having some difficulty finding a complete engine with all the correct parts. The on-line car part sites seem to be pretty unreliable. I found one 70 miles from me with a photo of it still in the car. When I inquired about how complete the engine was, I was sent three photos of what was obviously an n/a engine and the tag number didn't match the tag number listed for the engine. When I sent back that it was not the correct engine and mismatched numbers, he replied he accidently transposed numbers, which was bs and would send the correct photos. The next day the listing had mysteriously disappeared. Finding a complete series II is much easier but that would entail an entire engine change as there is essentially no interchangeable parts.

1 hour ago, DAVES89 said:

Hey 2seater why don't you get bundled up and let's go "window shopping" at Gibson's? There should be some '94/95 cars out there. I believe there are 1-2 '95 Rivs out there.

Good idea. Tomorrow may work if you are up for it. Maybe above freezing although some snow is likely. I will text later.

14 minutes ago, handmedownreatta said:

i see entire cars on craigslist sometimes for less than a thousand if they are banged up.

That is another possibility but I don't have much room to get another derelict home or to my cottage since it is still winter. Thanks for the idea

13 minutes ago, 89RedDarkGrey said:

Thanks for the info. but it's much like what I have been finding, lots of Series II engines but few Series I. That one listed for the '94 Bonnie would be fine except it sure looks like an n/a one to me. Maybe a bad photo, or misleading??