1943-54 Chrysler Windsor 6

alsfarms

As far as everyday driving goes old flathead engines usually 'punch above their weight' so to speak because the long stroke gives them such a broad power band and strong low speed and mid range torque. This means you can idle down to a walking pace in high gear and pull away without bucking or stalling. In normal traffic and hiway driving it 'feels' like a lot more than 116HP. It was high speed driving on the new interstates that was their downfall, they did not like running at high RPMs for long periods especially when worn or neglected. This problem has been addressed by using a 4 speed or 5 speed transmission. They permit easy cruising at speeds that would have been ruinous for a 3 speed car with 4.11 or 3.9 gearing.

• Like 1

This question is near trivia but isn't, at least to me.  Did Chrysler Corp. build any bell housings as early as 1937 (particularly DeSoto and Chrysler) out of cast aluminum?  I would have thought that all bell housings around 1937 would have been cast iron?

Al

FINALLY,  I have the IND 265 at home but still loaded in the back of my pick-up truck.  I will have much more information to share tomorrow.  Thanks for Fastenal to provide shipping that is affordable.  I would give a good recommendation for them.

Al

I was able to open up the shrink wrap to get a good picture of the serial number on the IND 265.  Please help me to totally determine what engine I have.  If you have any particular or specific information on what this IND engine was dressed as, please share.  (one picture may show better than the other).

Al

DSC01708.JPG

DSC01709.JPG

s-l1600.jpg

One list of engine numbers shows IND265 as a 265 cu in industrial engine, built of the large Chrysler block with 25" long head.The 265 came out in 1952 and all the ones used in cars, had the full flow filter. Your engine does not have this filter but it is not a deal breaker, the bypass filter is just as good.

It appears it was converted to 12 volt electrics with a GM alternator, Bosch blue (VW) coil and for good measure, a newer fan put on backwards. The starter will tell you if the engine was 12v from new. If it is 12v and comes with a good flywheel you are in luck.

The industrial bellhousing may not be any good for a car, but might be handy to build a test stand.

That engine in a light roadster or speedster will give you all the pep you need.

Any guess as to the year this engine is per serial number of 8130?  I will get a measurement for the size of the SAE bell-housing and share that information here in a day or two.  I haven't removed all the shrink wrap to determine if the starter is a 6 or 12 volt yet. 

Al

Can anyone tell me how I can date this IND265 engine?  I am sure that Chrysler used some type of method to date a block which then lets you know what year the unit is.  I am familiar with the GM method but do not even know where to look on this Chrysler block to determine the age.  I suppose teh serial number can also tell the vintage if I knew or was familiar with serial numbers.

Al

As a bit of background, this topic talks of the IND 265 engines in combine harvesters etc.

http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=harvest&th=76528

Further to that, this topic seems to indicate they were made by others.

http://p15-d24.com/topic/44005-chrysler-industrial-265-specs/

There is even a pointer to a book on Chrysler industrial engines, although it doesn't include the 265.

These people even have a service manual for it!

http://www.ssbtractor.com/tractor_manual_display.cgi?m=Misc. Engines&o=Chrysler Ind 265 6CYL 32

Really basic background:

http://www.t137.com/registry/help/otherengines/indengines.php

The second post on this topic had a manual about them!

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

I have been out of town for a bit of family early Christmas get together.  What  a good time that was.  We got back home to find that we still do not have snow on the ground but it is cold.  Anyway down to business.  I measured the bell housing that is currently bolted up to the IND 265.  It is 17-3/4" OD which makes it an SAE #3.  For confirmation, check out a previous post from C49er on page 2.  Does anyone have a need for this SAE #3 bell housing?

Al