1917 Ignition Key

Guest trap442w30

Guest trap442w30

I'm looking for a key for the ignition switch on my 1917 Studebaker model ED touring.  The code on the Yale lock is SB- 2X.  Or is it best to take the car to a locksmith.

My 1917  ignition switch had no key so I purchased a Yale Junior Studebaker key on e-bay and rearranged the pins in the switch (with a little filing to get the right height)and it works OK.  The key number doesn't match the switch but it works and the key has the Studebaker logo so I am happy with it.  There is currently a Yale Junior key on e-bay now for $25.00.  I was lucky the key I bought fitted into the switch but would not turn it.  Not sure if I was just lucky or all Yale Junior keys fit into the switches so all that is needed is to rearrange the pins (with a little filing) which is quite easy to do. I did have some spare pins which made it easier to get the right ones.

I too found the right key for my Briggs & Stratton ignition switch for my 1920 Light Six on eBay too. There  seems to be quite a traffic in old keys, it may take a week or two before you find the one you are looking for. There are probably web sites devoted to Key collectors. I have found the some Lock-smiths have greatly inflated ideas about the price that they can charge for their service.

Bj  DSCN5627.thumb.jpg.fd7131bb83c0d9ef65d4de7401e558d6.jpg.

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

What if in the course of trying to remove the lock cylinder you destroy the lock? If your's like mine is in the unlocked position it is probably best to let sleeping dogs lie. Put in a hidden ignition switch or battery cutout if you are afraid of someone stealing it. However someone smart enough to drive it already knows enough to steal it without a key. Myself I have opted for the battery cutout, most people will not have the time to circumvent it and I have the added protection of avoiding the more likely scenario of an electrical fire. 

p.s. when I left the car in my 84 year old mother's pole barn, I hid the coil wire.

Edited by keninman (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Guest trap442w30

I'm not worried about someone stealing it, I just think it would be cool to have a locking switch.  That's why I want to see if I can get a key cut based on the numbers stamped on the face of the lock.  I've already looked at it enough to know better than to try removing the cylinder.  The key that's in it fits just enough that I was able to wiggle it to unlock it, but with the correct key, I'd have a functioning lock.IMG_1008s.thumb.jpg.192eda09408703ae0f2bda699e93e139.jpg

I got my Key from eBay simply because another member was kind enough to alert me that one was available after I had placed a message on the Wanted thread of this Forum. 

As they used to say, You never know if you don't give it a go. An amazing number of truly remarkable people look at this Forum every day. 

Bj.

Oldcar you were much luckier than I was as I searched for a long time for the correct key but did not find one.  With respect to the comments "What if in the course of trying to remove the lock cylinder you destroy the lock? and  "I've already looked at it enough to know better than to try removing the cylinder"  as I have already pointed out I have actually done it and at no time did I have concerns that I would destroy or damage anything or that it was overly difficult.  There is no way I would be happy with a non functional switch or using some under the dash rigged up system knowing it could be made functional .  However, I suppose if you do not feel confident in doing something then it would be best not to do it but this does not mean it is impossible to do it.

• Like 1

I looked through my stash of Studebaker keys and came up with three Yales. The one on the left is just the key with number ST 295 and has the Studebaker script. In the middle is key only with number K 1603, no script. On the right is the transmission lock with key number K 1587, no script. It probably doesn't help you out but perhaps someone else. 

Scott

1508678995250-1588888985.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest trap442w30

After a couple tries, I got one cut to the code from Chuck at lostakey.net.  They mistakenly sent out a double cut key with the same code, but he sent out a replacement as well as one that was not tied to an automotive application....that's the one that fit.  It works smoother than most of my other locks.