Making Plastic knobs

kbeach

Last year at Hershey, a fellow had a stall with examples of steering wheels, knobs etc. that were recast using a type of plastic or acrylic. He was selling the products to do this yourself. I took all the information with me but promptly lost it. Does anyone know who this was or where I can purchase a similar type of product to make the mold and finished item?

Thanks

Ken

These two articles may help you. One deals with urethane's that can be tinted. Source Smooth - On Plastics in Easton, PA or Alumilite, Kalamazoo, MI. The second article addresses making molds using Smooth-On flexible urethane.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public4/casting-taillights-1.cfm

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public2/small-parts.cfm

You might also consider doing a 3D drawing and having your knob 3D printed. There are a number of companies that will print your project for about 10 cents per cubic cm. (basically the cost of the plastic). You up load the file and they print and mail it to you. This avoids the DIY from investing in the cost of a 3D printer. Check your local libraries or hobby shop. There are groups popping up everywhere under the heading called "Make". You might find a person among them to make up the 3D drawing (and maybe even print it) for you.

My grandson is learning how to make knobs on his 3D printer but I will need to make the rim on the steering wheel. 

Thanks for the information and fast reply. 

Ken

If you are going to replace a steering wheel rim, I would seek professional help. There are several issues that will arise such as alignment as it must be cat to the spokes, shrinkage and air infusion. I would recommend D& D Automobilia for making a new wheel. They have all the vacuum machines and many moulds for different wheels. I believe they are still in NC and do have a website.

We do a lot of casting of 34-36 Auburn parts.  We have a high quality unit that is designed for evacuating air conditioning systems. Empirical evidence has proven that air pressure reduces pin  holes  better than a vacuum.  +1 for the smooth on products.

Thanks jpage, from your suggestion I was able to find D&D.

Curti I will send you a  PM

Friartuck came up with the information I was looking for - Alumilite.com and Don Fowler was the vender. But I may have the steering wheel done by a professional.

Thanks again for everyone that responded to my question.

Ken

Edited by kbeach
Updated information (see edit history)