1913 Buick Broken Axle Removal

Mark Shaw

The axle broke when I was loading the car in my trailer for a HCCA tour last Saturday.  I was being careful not to go too fast when it started to stall on the ramp.  I stopped and gave it a bit more throttle, and as it rolled back the clutch caught and the axle broke due to the added stress.  Later I found the axle was cracked at the end of the keyway and could have broken at a much more inconvenient place on the tour.  So, I took a back-up car on the tour.  I just got back from the tour two days ago and I removed the broken axle for replacement. 

So, for those who have not yet had to fun of removing an axle from a brass Buick, this is what it looks like.  Full floating axles are much easier....

13 Buick Split Rear End.jpg

13 Buick Broken Axle.jpg

Good news today!  I had the axle from my spare Buick rear end checked for cracks via magna-flux & it is A-OK to use as a replacement.  Since the original 104 year old axle worked this long, I will take a chance this one will last awhile too.   This will save me several hundred dollars to have a new one made, & helps even more to justify buying the spare chassis I got years ago for spare parts.

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Tinindian said:

See there really was a reason for buying that spare rear end.  Glad your 13 will be back on the rood soon.

Soon is a relative term....

I spent most of the afternoon wrestling with the two rear end halves to align the axles.  I don't have enough jacks, blocks, jack stands and clamps to get everything aligned so I can bolt-up the ring gear.  Working alone takes more time and ingenuity to set up a rig to hold everything safely in place.  So, I decided to sleep on it and try again tomorrow when I am not so tired... 

Stay tuned... 

I always thought getting the four spiders lined up was difficult but your differential looks ten times harder.  Good luck or should I say safe ingenious engineering.

After attaching the ring gear bolts and safety wire, I used four jack stands & a combination of jacks and two ratchet straps to align & pull the rear end housing back together.  Then I used my lift to install the torque tube to the rear end and attached it to the transmission.  All that is left to do today is re-attach the torque arm to the transmission, mount the rear wheels, & attach and re-adjust the brake rods.

I am getting too old for this kind of heavy work...; I wouldn't be able to do it without a four post lift.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mark Shaw said:

After attaching the ring gear bolts and safety wire, I used four jack stands & a combination of jacks and two ratchet straps to align & pull the rear end housing back together.  Then I used my lift to install the torque tube to the rear end and attached it to the transmission.  All that is left to do today is re-attach the torque arm to the transmission, mount the rear wheels, & attach and re-adjust the brake rods.

I am getting too old for this kind of heavy work...; I wouldn't be able to do it without a four post lift.

I don't want to ask a stupid question -- because I know less than nothing about these specific cars -- but how were they assembled at the factory?  And would it be easier to drop the whole rear end, reassemble it where it's more accessible, then stick the whole unit back in?

8 hours ago, KongaMan said:

I don't want to ask a stupid question -- because I know less than nothing about these specific cars -- but how were they assembled at the factory?  And would it be easier to drop the whole rear end, reassemble it where it's more accessible, then stick the whole unit back in?

I am sure they installed the whole rear end assembly as a unit at the factory.  And, yes, it would have been simpler to remove the whole rear end and work on it on the floor.  However,  previous injuries and surgery on my lower back along with too many years lifting heavy objects forces me to do things differently.  Therefore, removing half the weight made more sense in my case.

• Like 1

The 13 Buick is all together again with the replacement axle from my spare rear end assembly.   I took it out for a drive this morning to see if the rear end gears need adjustment.  It sounded great and drove just fine.  So I drove it to my Buick Barn just ten blocks away and swapped it for the little 1912 Buick Roadster that was recently on the Idaho tour.  I have a shorter punch list for the roadster that includes fixing the windshield supports, making a proper tool roll for it, re-adjusting the carburetor & tappets, & an oil change for winter storage.

• Like 2