Parking Brake

kclark

3 hours ago, kclark said:

Sorry I say it in my tag line so I thought I put it there.

'29 Dictator 6

A 29 Dictator 6 Funeral Coach. I think from your pics that you have a differential brake don't you? A band brake right behind the transmission? My Dictator 6's parking brake actuates the wheel brakes so I can't help much there.

Loosen the lock nut on the adjustment screw on the drivers side of the band and turn the screw in or out until a clearance of about 1/32 of an inch is obtained. On the passenger side there is an adjustment nut on either side of the split in the band.  Loosen the lower lock nut and turn the adjustment nut to obtain 1/32 clearance and repeat with the upper (long) adjustment nut.

Terry

• 1 month later...

I am finally looking into this brake good. I can't find a diagram of the parking brake so I'm still scratching my head a little. I think I understand what dictator27 is saying but not quite certain. Attached are some photos that I took last night. 

One thing that I did notice is the band material for the brakes is very brittle. It seems to be like cork or something not quite sure. I know this needs replacing but where can they be gotten?

IMG_5347.jpg

IMG_5346.jpg

IMG_5345.jpg

IMG_5344.jpg

3 minutes ago, stude24 said:

Attached are the parking brake adjustment procedures from Book 2 of the Studebaker Service Manuals (with supplements).

These are pretty much the same as given above, but thought the illustration might also help.

studebaker brake adjustment.pdf

studebaker brake adjustment1.pdf

Is there a place in the book that tells me what parts the letters are in the illustrations?

22 minutes ago, stude24 said:

The first attachment has the instructions which tell what the letters in the illustration are for, however I can't seem to open it. If you can't open it let me know and I can email it to you.

I can open them just fine. And I realize that the illustration letters go along with the illustration, but I was also interested in knowing what is labeled part is actually called.

Sorry, I couldn't find an article about replacing the brake lining specific to your car, however there were articles for a similar (but not identical) lining replacement on earlier cars. The problem is it requires a special jig to form the lining to the band and finding one of those jigs today would be difficult. Perhaps someone else could chime in as to how it should be done.

8 hours ago, stude24 said:

Sorry, I couldn't find an article about replacing the brake lining specific to your car, however there were articles for a similar (but not identical) lining replacement on earlier cars. The problem is it requires a special jig to form the lining to the band and finding one of those jigs today would be difficult. Perhaps someone else could chime in as to how it should be done.

I would think a jig could be easily made. 

On 11/3/2017 at 6:46 PM, dictator27 said:

Any Dykes manual from the 30s or 40s has the procedure for replacing woven lining.  Pretty much seen one seen them all.

Terry

Do you know of a place that has these. I have looked but can't seem to come up with what I need for certain. I'd hate to spend money on a book and then it not have what I need. I don't mind spending the money if I know it has the information that I need.

The 1927 Studebaker Service Manual indicates that a "jig" be used to hold the brake lining to the brake band when installing new brake linings on externally contracting brakes, however it appears the Dykes Manual (copied above) provides an alternative method of installing the lining without the use of a jig.

In the situation above I'd question the need to replace the lining, which involves a fair amount of work to remove, disassemble and reline the parking brake. I'd suggest first trying to adjust the parking brake as outlined in the service manual. The old brake lining material may appear brittle, but it's likely an asbestos composite material which was brittle to start with. Keep in mind this is not the service brakes and would get limited use as a parking/emergency brake anyway.