64 fuel gauge new issue

riv2x4

Seen many topics on senders and ground for the gauge.  I've got a different one. My dash gauge has a history of not working or being erratic.  I put in about 8 gallons every once in a while or the gas fumes overwhelm my garage.   Had to take my radio out for service. I must have bumped something because the gauge started working.  This went on until I put the radio back in and bumped whatever I did before and now the gauge is inoperable again.

Anybody else see theirs act like this?  Rest of the lights and gauges work properly so line to gauge is the problem????

Started digging around on this yesterday.  Found the tan wire to the round connector for the gas gauge has what looks like a couple of taped connections in it near the round connector.  What's the best way to get at the connector and wires?

Larry

I had one garage work on it last year, and their impression was a bad printed circuit. I have hardly ever seen one of these bad in a car unless they were exposed to a lot of moisture or something and my car is dry as a bone, plus, everything else works in the cluster right down to all the bulbs and cold light.

UPDATE  

Unsatisfying result. While somewhat blindly feeling for the taped wire I touched or moved some wires and the gauge is now working.  I hate not being able to point to the cause of the problem and have a real fix.  We'll have to see how long it works and if it's accurate.