SWAP MEET FORUM - general thoughts

Terry Bond

When I suggested that we needed a swap meet forum, my original intent was to not only announce upcoming events, but to get some post-event reporting on here. 

Was hopeful we could get a bit of a story about the event.  Looking for some info on size, focus (pre-war, postwar, yard-sale stuff, etc).  I also expected we'd see more pics from the events - cars for sale or displayed, parts and stuff laying on the tables for sale (price tags showing?)  It sure would be nice to see what I missed by not going, and what you lucky swappers found early in the morning.  Heck, even pics of the donut vendor would be nice.  So far though, I've seen better swap meet coverage on the Model T club forum - photos, goodies discovered, etc. etc.  It's fun to see that stuff, but here all I'm seeing generally are announcements for swap meets in far distant places with no idea if it's something I should try to include or not. 

Of course my tastes may be different than some - I generally walk briskly past the T-shirt vendors, booths filled with Chinese made tools, those stupid beanie-babies and other instant collectibles, Coca-cola stuff made yesterday, fake signs, etc.etc.  I've posted (without response) on a few threads asking for some feedback on the events, but get zip response.  Comeon folks, I can understand wanting to keep your secret source secret, but I think we could do a lot better with our reporting.   With today's smart phone technology all you need to do is snap a few photos for us and share your thoughts.   If you;re worried you're wife will find out how much you spent, hide the price tags or make up a good story.  
Thanks for letting me vent!

IMG_2256.thumb.JPG.1bd774c9e9e6a1014217ed98ce86849e.JPG 

IMG_2247.JPG

IMG_2253.JPG

IMG_2307.JPG

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I agree Terry . It may help us all , buyers and seller . Knowing which events to hit . There are some times two or three on a weekend .  That first picure  in the middle , nice foot warmer !   Kings 32

• 2 weeks later...

Terry ... I also like the idea of reporting on swap meets that already happened. I took you up on your suggestion and posted a link as a new topic. It will bring you to nearly 400 photos from the 2016 Hershey Fall Meet. Our local club, WPRAACA, attended. As our website manager I took lots of photos. The photo gallery on our web page should give you a good idea of what this mega flea market is like.

We routinely report back with photographs of most meets that our club attends. Most are of local or regional interest only. There are presently about 25 such photo galleries on our Trips and Shows page in the Gallery drop-down menu.

Great idea to post links here.  I often see great swap meet coverage on the Model T Club forum.   I'm sure there are other editors who take pics for their newsletters and it's to the benefit of everyone to share that.  I hope that event promoters or attendees will provide some wrap up reports with pics.  It could only help us sort out the real swap meets from the yard-sales. 

Just noticed I'm responding within about a half hour of your post.  No, I don't constantly hover over the forums, just happened to decide to take a look at lunchtime.

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Although I live a few miles from Portland OR & belong to one of the six clubs that sponsor the Portland Swap Meet, I no longer actively seek parts for my prewar cars at that meet.  It is almost always held during the first weekend in April, & I do my club duty at the Portland Swap Meet every year that it does not conflict with the Bakersfield Prewar Swap Meet.  I can still find prewar parts in Bakersfield, and I get to stay and visit my sister in Fresno, so I always attend that meet.  Other northwest swap meets have primarily hot rod and chrome stuff anymore.  As I get older, I simply cannot justify walking all day until I am sore to find nothing for my cars.

I have also attended the prewar Chickasha OK Swap Meet three times & Hershey only once, but doing so requires expensive travel.  When air fare exceeds $400-$500 it just doesn't make much sense when travel costs are added to the parts actually purchased.  Yes, I go to see and stay with my friends and socialize in OK City, but the high travel cost limits how often I go.