Chromed or not?

PWB

Please help

I'd like to polish fine scratches on my original '67 window "rails".

I just can't tell if they are chromed. I don't want to burn through any chrome plate.

Are they SS plain or chrome capped? (Already done the #0000 wool)

Thanks!

1967-buick-riviera-door-handle-033.jpg

4 hours ago, JZRIV said:

You'll need buffing supplies for stainless. Do you plan to remove the trim? I've done it on car but don't recommend it. As much of a pain as it is to remove these it will be faster and safer overall to remove

The scratches are pretty light. I dont want to remove any door panels, ugh.

I was planning to use a Dremel with compound and disk pads.

Lazy approach :unsure:?

I did the ones on my 65 without removing them. It takes a while when doing by hand instead of a power buffer but still

a lot easier than removing the moldings to machine polish them. If you have any scratches too deep to polish out you can use 360 grit

wet or dry sandpaper followed by 600 grit followed by 1000 grit then use the polish to finish it off. It only took 1 hour and a half to do the ones on my car as there

were no scratches that needed sanding. It's kind of strenuous work, so what I did is work on them 20 minutes every day till I got the finish I wanted. Don't use a dremel! If you slip you will damage your paint! Do it by hand with a good metal polish and it will come out great.

• Like 1