Black River

So, are you "just" a Riviera person, or a "car guy"?

Also, why isn't the right rear window down?  These rear quarter windows are a pain in the arse if there's something not working correctly.  You need to know own that ALL convertibles started off as hardtops.  They were shipped to a specialty shop where the metal tops were cut off with a Sawzall and then converted into a convertible.   All the convertible parts were custom made.  There are no replacement parts made for those custom made parts.  Including the operation of the quarter windows; quarter windows on a coupe are stationary, they dont move.  If you're truly interested, make sure that all the parts are there and that they're all working. If you put the top down with the windows up, does the top down switch lower the windows about an inch before the top retracts?  Check it all out thoroughly.  You should also check the classifieds on the Riviera Owners Assn website to see what's for sale there.  If for no other reason, to compare prices.  By the way, the bumper fillers on this car have been replaced with aftermarket parts.  The OE parts did not have seams in the middle of them, they were one piece items.  If you can find a picture, see how much nicer the OE pieces look.

There's a link to the ROA website in my signature. 

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Thanks guys, I Knew I could find the best reviews here. There is more than meets the eye. If I go to check it out, I will keep you posted

4 hours ago, Black River said:

That's a good looking convertible.  I'm no 70s or 80s Riviera expert, and cars from that era are hard to put a value on, but you'll get the "it's worth what someone's willing to pay for it" line.  I think on cars of that vintage, that line holds truer than any other.  Their market hasn't been set yet, because they aren't truly classics to most people.  I look at it this way:  You could buy that car for $7k, or a 2005 Honda Accord.  I know what I'd do :)

Lucas

Reminds me of that most interesting man in the world commercial " I don't always drive a Buick but when I do, I drive a Riviera"

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

ALL Riviera convertibles had maroon interiors.  The seats in this car appear to be a dark gray.  Is is just the lighting in the photo or has someone replaced the interior at some time?  Past some detailed pictures of the interior,  please.

The guy sent me more pictures, still have not seen it in person. Now he tells me that he was not sure that he wanted to sell and installed what it looks like oversized wire wheels and new tires (sorry don't like those) this is what the picture depicts the interior. Keep you all posted

IMG_1687.JPG

IMG_5513.JPG

IMG_5511.JPG

IMG_1691.JPG

• Like 1

On 4/26/2017 at 0:10 PM, PWB said:

Best green I've ever seen on a Mach1.

Is that a factory color option?

I marvel at gasoline combustion engines that still run and work on outdoor power equipment. I use vintage Gravely tractors and implements to manage our two acre heavily wooded lot where we live. I am a member of the Gravely Tracror Club of America.

Gravely, at one time 70 implements that were interchangeable among dozens of its tractors.

IMG_0334.JPG

Hey, now Ed, I resemble that remark :)

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 5:51 PM, RivNut said:

I found a buyer.  All he has to do now is set it for bouncing.

Image result for cholo caricature

Hey, now Ed, I resemble that remark :)....Haha....

bike1.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/26/2017 at 11:29 PM, Black River said:

Andrew, I think you and my older brother would get along nicely :) Sorry for the crappy pic of a pic quality.

FFFFFFFFFFFF.png

damngit that's a cool setup

440 !?!?! must go like the clappers..

and i really dig your Mustang. as per previous comments, colour is amazing.

nice old ute too.

Edited by whitewatersky (see edit history)

On 4/27/2017 at 4:09 AM, steelman said:

Much like Tom, I was identifying cars by their tail lights and grilles since I was about 5 or 6. My dad and uncles are all car guys, so it came natural. Went to the first Street Rod Nats in 73 in Memphis. Couldn't drive yet, but was still a car guy. I have owned at least a 100 older cars, but my 55 Bel Air hardtop, My 58 Apache big window short wide and my 63 Riviera are keepers. Have had multiple opportunities to sell or trade each of these, but I have no interest in selling them. Fell in love with each of these body styles when I was a kid, and don't see that love fading any time soon.

ho-lee crap that looks good that low.

I'm a owner of a 1985 Buick Riviera Convertible. Although it looks good trust me you can hunt the internet and find them cheaper than what this guys asking. Goggle Buick Riviera Convertible for sale on craigslist and take your time choosing a good car. Word to the wise parts are hard to come by but I love the hunt so if you can hang join the club.. I found mine on E bay for 1900.00 with a new crate motor and had it shipped from the engine repair shop for 425.00 

6 hours ago, whitewatersky said:

damngit that's a cool setup

440 !?!?! must go like the clappers..

and i really dig your Mustang. as per previous comments, colour is amazing.

nice old ute too.

Thanks.  It was a 340 car originally, then the 440, now is a 505 stroker.  The two fastest cars in the brother's and my dad's fleet are my Dad's Skylark and my older brother's Demon was running 9.9s in the quarter, but he put a new alcohol engine in it, so hoping low 9s/high 8s this year.  Little brother's '87 GN is a 10 second car, and he and I are trading places with who's quickest between that and my Mach 1 right now haha......We all street drive our cars, but the GN will still get 20 mpg, where my Mach 1 is lucky to pull 8 mpg if I just cruise at 65 or 70 mph....I guess a turbo 3.8L has some advantages over a naturally aspirated 9.3L hahahaha

FFFFFFFFFF.png

skylark1.png

gn.png

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 7:01 PM, Red Riviera Bob said:

I've loved cars since I could name every car coming down the road. If I had the space and the money I'd own a 64 Chevy SS, 50 Chevy DeLuxe, 53 Buick two door, and a 58 Buick Riviera. I could go on for two weeks telling folks what cars I really like and would own if the least bit doable.I've attached a short video filming and recording my new exhaust system on my 63 Riviera.

Red Riviera Bob.

IMG_0418.MOV

What kind of mufflers are you running? She's got a nice deep rumble.

I'm a true Riviera lover and so is my dad. His first was a Boat tail '73. The curves of the 79-85 melts my heart . The convertibles are my favorite by far. I've owned 3 so far.

I absolutely consider myself a "car guy" and my tastes aren't just for classics.  Heck, while I always liked the looks of older cars, I really never considered owning a classic prior to about 6 months ago.  Then the bug kind of bit me and I bought the Riv.  Went from just randomly checking out classic car sites just for the heck of it, to must-buy-it-now in a few short weeks.  

Alone with the Riv, im a big Subaru fan.  I havent seen a single foreign make posted on here, but I'm currently on my second WRX and can expect for that not to be the last.  I also like older European cars, and besides the Subaru, I also like a lot of newer American cars now that they are finally building good cars again.  I love modern Cadillacs, the new Camaro and I am a huge fan of the Chevy Bolt and Volt.  I don't think being fuel efficient and environmentally responsible is contradictory to being a "car guy".  If it's got good engineering and/or nice styling and/or is just a fun car to drive, I'll probably like it.  If it's a little different, even better.

14 minutes ago, Hazdaz said:

Alone with the Riv, im a big Subaru fan.  I havent seen a single foreign make posted on here, but I'm currently on my second WRX and can expect for that not to be the last.  

And you probably won't. 😆

I have had 6 Jaguars, but I always looked at them as kind of a British Buick.

There is an old story that Bill Mitchell wanted to use the A body platform for the '71 Riviera series. He thought it was getting a little bloated.

The first XJS was delivered to me in a trailer. I had not driven one. It weighed 4,000 pounds, had a V12, with 102" wheelbase. and a very tight feel. I pulled out of my driveway the first time and thought "Wow! This is the car Bill Mitchell wanted to build."

I am following through on my "sell three, buy one" plan. I sold my '48 Packard on Friday. I was detailing the '94 Impala SS today. And the '86 Park ave convertible will follow.

That will leave me with the '64 Riviera and the '60 Electra. Oh, and the "buy one".

Bernie

Loved cars and the 65 Riviera in.particlar since I was little and saw pics of Dad's car. My other passion is Corvettes. This is my 2003 Spiral Gray coupe with 36,000 miles. 30 mpg on the highway, and goes like hell.

20170707_194401.jpg

My Dad always owned a Buick starting after he got out of the service after wwII 53 Buick special 55 Buick Special 60 Buick Lesabre then the best car he ever owned (by his own admission) our 64 Buick Riviera.  Along the way though, for their 10th wedding anniversary in 1960 my Grannie gave them a vw bug which I saw at eight years old as a car my own size and really liked it.  That influenced my aspirations, and today have had a business for the last 40 years catering to the needs of those owning a Porsche 914 and all of the others in the Porsche line.  That however does not prevent me from being a single minded car guy though.  In addition to the family 64 Riviera and the 17 Porsches in my collection, I have:

1966 Corvette,  two 67 MGB GTs,  1971 Jag XKE, 2004 VW air cooled Ultima Edition bug, and a 2006 Ford GT.  So you can see I am all over the place when it comes to diverse cars so I think therefore qualifying on being a car guy!  049.thumb.jpg.5ead9abe61b71b69627acaed91db5446.jpgIMG_0614.JPG.d23e4fdcfcbf7179d9b6ee80a0eba669.JPG

86a7_3.JPG

Edited by dr914 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Another car guy here, though I am very partial to mid-60s designs.

When I bought the 65 Riv I was also considering a 65 GTO.

Past cars have included a 63 Belair wagon with factory air and tinted glass, a 64 Impala SS, and a 68 Firebird Convertible.

I have nearly pulled the trigger on a Mustang or two as well, especially California Specials, and the 67/68 Fastbacks.

These all would be among my favorite designs.