Importing into the US

Guest Charged67

Guest Charged67

New Member & 1st Post!

Hello !

Can anyone share any advice on importing into the US? I  have recently relocated from the UK and I need to bring my cars back to their homeland!

Im trying ship two cars. One is all original so that should not be a problem given it originally came from Kansas. The second is the challenge, Originally came from CA then moved to PA, heavily modified then I purchased and shipped it to the UK.  gave it a full resto and paint, Its registered in the UK as a 289 but its a modified 302 with a blower with all updated ancillaries (Rad/fuel lines, distributor,steering,etc) I understand that I cannot re-import as it needs to be original. Im toying with removing the 302 and leaving in the UK and replacing with an old 289  then replace when it gets back to the US. or.... do I remove the blower & rocker covers and try to make it look like an original engine?  the interior also has new interior (all leather & front buckets) harnesses but looks tasteful and relatively period(ish). Yes I could try and sell in the UK but I have no one to handle the sale and I have sunk so many hours into the project I would prefer to keep and try to navigate the US rules (Yes crazy...)

Any advice greatly received!

p.s I love the site!

Could you remove the engine and import the body and motor as parts?

A friend used to export trucks to Brazil by cutting the frame into 1/2, and strapping the tires onto the frame. They were listed as parts for a much lower import duty.

Guest Charged67

Hi Roger, export is easier from the US. Import is a whole new challenge. Been told that the engine will need to pass the emission tests so thats ruled out sadly.

Guest Charged67

Tried that Andrew, they all quote information from the Govt websites. Ive even called the EPA and customs and they read a mantra at me (Nothing different from what I can read myself) Im hoping to hear from People who have navigated the process. 

Ive imported 5 cars into the UK and can navigate correctly through the paperwork and rules but I need to hear from people who have done the inverse into the US.

What makes this issue even worse, I have every bill, receipt for every part that was added to the engine in the US (50K worth!) ! it all met the rules and regs here, tax and duty all paid but they wont let me bring it back. nonsensical.....  

Try asking Shumacher Cargo Logistics. I think they are used to dealing with active military and government officials but it's worth checking. If they can't help, maybe they can point you in the right direction or discuss the proper options available....

Filip Michelet
562-408-6677 Ext: 251

FYI , I have not used them and have no affiliation or experience with this situation. Just a suggestion .

Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you.

Guest BillP

I imported a car last year. I had owned it and registered it outside the US. I contacted a local (foreign) export agent, asked for a quote to ship to my US address.

I took pictures all over the car, signed a few papers, paid some money and a few weeks later, it showed up none the worse for wear.  One thing I had to provide was my title, which I declined to do. Instead, I sent a notarized photocopy. All in all, painless. No EPA, no emissions, probably a once-over by customs for contraband at POE, but no drama.

Side note to 30Dodge Panel, I've used Schumacher for export, they are very capable.

The typical company active within the country

probably doesn't have much foreign experience,

so you will want to use one that ships internationally.

You might try Horseless Carriage Carriers, 

based in New Jersey, telephone  (973) 742-2692.

I have no experience with them, but they do quite a

lot of work at the big Hershey car show, transporting

from the U. S. A. to foreign countries.  A member

of our region used them to transport an Eastern European

car from Serbia to the United States, which is certainly

not a commonly encountered assignment.

http://www.horselesscarriage.com/

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

This car was made in USA  Right ?. Now it is just returning. Do you have any of your old US registrations, title, insurance cards etc ?Even copies would be helpful . I think if you can prove you had it registered here previously it will go easier. These documents will prove you are not trying to import a "grey market" car that doesn't meet US specs. Emission control regulations  shouldn't affect a pre 68 car, except maybe in California. Good Luck !

Charged67, welcome to the forum.

What model year vehicles are we talking about?  That will help narrow things down for Customs and USEPA purposes.  Also, knowing the state the vehicles will be titled/licensed in will be helpful, as some states like California have additional regulations affecting imported vehicles.

Once a car is older then 25 years, it's exempt from EPA and other regulations like safety standards (unless you are in California). One company worth talking to is International Vehicle Importers in Long Beach.  Their web site importavehicle.com has a lot of good information on the topic. I got a quote from them to bring a car from the UK a while back but didn't end up getting the car. When shipping a car, there are two basic choices, using a container or RoRo which is roll-on-roll-off. The latter is significantly less expensive because the car is simply driven on and off the ship. However, RoRo is only available to ports, so you will need to retrieve the car from wherever it gets off the water.