Custom gauges

Guest detpar210

Guest detpar210

Looking for a good replacement for stock gauges in my 1950 Buick Roadmaster. Any ideas where to start & looking for a2x2 intake manifold found an Edmoumnds but wow the pricing. I no it's not cheap. My good friend on here I first met is First Born Ben Bruce. He helped me out tremendously can't say enuff good things bout him so Mr Ben if u c this holler at me. Still have a ph# for u not sure it's same. Have not finished the Buick yet got the engine going & I changed to electronic distributor a Davis Unified Distributor with custom wires. 

Thx to all

Gary

Guest detpar210

Why are u asking me all these questions? Either answer the question with a knowledgeable response or plz direct me to a place at first response. Yes sir I am in the correct place. Since I don't have the stock gauges in the car any longer & most of the guys in the States have possibly mod their car would have directed me correctly. 

As far as requirements of the gauges I would talk with the vendor

again yes am in the correct forum

yes u deduced the cause of my question changing them out

yes will ck HAMB

regards 

Gary 

this forum is really for those who wish to keep their vehicles ALL ORIGINAL, so spinneyhill is 100% correct to ask you if you're in the right place. the H.A.M.B. is much more for what help you're looking for. i know my own old car project is a long ways from being 100% original, but i'm trying to replicate a pre-production prototype that pontiac was prevented from building for the new car buying public in 1953. so i thank all those here in the aaca for tolerating me. are you converting to 12 volts ?, i am, and i was able to change the fuel gauge to a 1955 pontiac fuel, a good friend provided it after he repainted the needle to match the car's other three gauges. you may find that 1953 buick gauges from a super or roadmaster (12 volts) might work very well for you.

charles l. coker

1953 pontiac tech advisor

tech advisor coordinator

poci.

nos cluster 032.JPG

Guest detpar210

Yes sir respectfully I disagree I bought the car 12v the gauges were shot due to that other than that my car is original 100% other than electronic distributor. There is someone else on here their car is electronic but I want say who & is 12v no I grew up with 6v mess sorry system. the car does  have an alternator. All I ask was suggestions if folks on here are offended because of my request for help so be it sir. I am not as old as some older than others but ain't no spring rooster. I grew up with vacuum windshield wipers, generators & the like 

So if folks here question me have at it or don't answer me. I don't appreciate being ask questions to my request. All u folks need to say plz is look here then let er go. Some of the original equipment is archaic not viable unreliable this day & time. 

I still have my 320  S8 the dynaflow tranny , so u c I can't stick a prehistoric gauge in there due to 12v 

Thank u 

I am in search else where thx for the tip but plz don't ask me questions to my questions. 

Again safe motoring enjoy the past with ur rides it's nice as I grew up in the back of a 38 Plymouth my dad bought after WWII  , a 49 ford, 53 Olds , my uncles old late 40's Chevy's so c guys I have an appreciation for the past 

On 12/1/2016 at 11:44 AM, detpar210 said:

Looking for a good replacement for stock gauges in my 1950 Buick Roadmaster. Any ideas where to start & looking for a2x2 intake manifold found an Edmoumnds but wow the pricing. I no it's not cheap. My good friend on here I first met is First Born Ben Bruce. He helped me out tremendously can't say enuff good things bout him so Mr Ben if u c this holler at me. Still have a ph# for u not sure it's same. Have not finished the Buick yet got the engine going & I changed to electronic distributor a Davis Unified Distributor with custom wires. 

Thx to all

Gary

I would go to AutoMeter for updated gauges and to here for the intake manifold....http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forums/the-hokey-ass-message-board.5/

I am sorry if I have offended you. When you said "replacement for stock" gauges I thought you wanted something updated so we would need to have an idea of what you are looking for. You also mention changing the distributor and custom wires, so I wondered if you should be on the H.A.M.B. OK, sorry if I have misinterpreted your post.

Guest detpar210

No sir not at all wanted suggestions that's all I appreciate ur responce to H.A.M.B. starting there, like I explained bought the car this way so I needed HELP!! LOL from experts like u guys who have the wisdom and plz not offended at all & I pray that I didn't offend u. Possibly I didn't explain my self well which is my fault & if u were offended in anyway plz accept my sincerest apology that was never my intent to disrespect anyone on this forum. I do read the goings on on this forum for helpful hints 

Gary 

Edited by detpar210
Word left out (see edit history)

You will probably have to go with an electronic speedometer because it can be calibrated. Different than a mechanical one which is driven by a spinning square-ended cable. Hard to calibrate a mechanical speedometer, unless you have the original one in which case it would not be an issue.

How a Hall-effect type electronic speedometer works

Electronic speedometers work in a completely different way. Small magnets attached to the car's rotating drive shaft sweep past tiny magnetic sensors (either reed switches or Hall-effect sensors) positioned nearby. Each time the magnets pass the sensors, they generate a brief pulse of electric current. An electronic circuit counts how quickly the pulses arrive and converts this into a speed, displayed electronically on an LCD display. Since the circuit is measuring the number of wheel rotations, it can also keep a count of how far you've traveled, doubling-up as an odometer (distance-measuring meter). Electronic speedometers can also display speeds with analog pointers and dials, just like traditional eddy-current speedos: in that case, the electronic circuit drives a highly controllable electric motor (called a stepper motor) that rotates the pointer through an appropriate angle. Electronic speedometers are more reliable and compact than mechanical ones and the motion sensors can be any distance from the display that shows you your speed, making them suitable for any kind of vehicle

Autometer Guages - http://www.autometer.com/gauges.html

Here's a video on how to calibrate an electronic gauge. All you need is to know a 2 mile distance of road. Push the button on the gauge at the start and again after driving for the 2 miles. Then the gauge calibrates so you have an accurate speedometer and odometer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5LvECehq3E