64 Riviera Power windows

coOverwatch

Its a known issue with the car and many people just run without it.  My drivers side is broken and the windows work fine.  If you really want to fix it , its just the rear window mount you need to replace.  Here is a pic with the assy torn down so you can see what needs to be replaced.  The window bolts to a front and rear runner, this is the rear.  It bolts to the regulator, so remove the glass, disconnect the regulator attach bolts and it should slide up out of the door.

post-128466-0-08764600-1442160518_thumb.

Edited by alini (see edit history)

Thanks for the pick. doesn't sound to bad to pull out. thought this might be why the windows were struggling a little going up and down.

still need to test the window motors to see if they need rebuilt. not sure how difficult they would be to rebuild. buddy of mine is an electrician and he was going to take a look. One of the rear motors seems bound have those all out.

went to the GoodGuy's car show yesterday and found 1 Riv on display. everything was shaved. he has a parts car that is pretty much complete. he said he cut into one of the quarters but everything else is there. Hopefully the motor is not trashed and can be rebuilt. need to search the site to see how to tell a 401 from a 425.

Take the motor out.  Be careful when doing this, the spring on the regulator has tension and is held in place by the gear on the motor. 

The nylon gear will slide off the shaft.  Clean the 50 years worth of grime off the nylon gear front and back and clean the gear in the motor housing.  I used a 12 volt battery and ran the motor forward and reverse without the big nylon gear on it for a while.  This seemed to clean up the armature and the motor started running faster with less drag.  I put my 18 volt cordless drill motor on one once and gave it a real thrill ride. Then reassemble everything with new clean grease.  You'll also want to clean the gears on the regulator.

If you look closely at the arm that's broken you'll see that the track that it runs in is adjustable in and out.  That arm and track makes sure that the window is snug against the seal when the door is closed.  I'm betting that the reason they break is because people close the door by pushing on the glass instead of using the door handle.  I've found more cars where the driver's door assembly has been broken than the passenger door assembly.  Either men aren't as careful as women - assuming that the "man of the house" does most of the driving, or the driver's door just gets used that much more. 

If someone could come up with a replacement arm and attaching rivet, I'm sure there would be a great demand for them.  If you find an OE one complete make sure it's for the year you have.  The '63 assmebly is different than the '64/'65 assembly.  I think I read on this forum that the change in glass was not done until sometime into the '64 year.  The arms themselves may be the same, but the piece that they're attached to is different for left and right.  The '63 glass is pressed into a channel, and the '64/'65 glass is bolted to the channel.   Left and right may share the same part number put there's a suffix or prefix along with the part number that identifies them as either LH or RH.  

Ed

There's more discussion on this arm in previous threads.  Tom Mooney has some great insight into this.

Ed

thanks ED, doing some searching for testing the window motors.. not really finding to much. search function keeps crashing.

will have to pull the manuals out and see if they have a step by step process outlined.

Talked to a guy at the GoodGuy's car show yesterday that has a parts car he is done with. he said I just took some sheet metal from the floor boards and off one quarter. Was hoping that the window parts are in better condition then what I have. he said that he had all the trim for both cars..and better yet... a motor. :-)

have to wait till next weekend to go look.

My drivers side window arm is broken and missing as well. I found out when I pulled my skins off. The motors are easy to refurbish I just pulled mine all apart and cleaned the crud off, knocked the rust and debris out, greased all parts and reassembled. Every one I've done so far has worked great afterwards. You can buy after market motors if yours are too far gone for about $50 at any auto parts store. They were one of the universal parts that GM used on most power window cars they made.

Cheers

Mark

• Like 1