How to maintain a vintage car

Guest gtr123

Guest gtr123

I am considering purchasing my first vintage car. A 1980's Toyota Celica. It's garage kept and in very nice shape. Can anyone tell me a little bit about some of the things that I should prepare for when owning a vintage car like this? Are parts available? If something goes wrong, do I always need specific parts or can some jobs use commonly found parts?

Toyota's of this vintage are very robust as long as they are not rusty. Parts are still generally available. Celica's have a strong fan base. Many end up at least somewhat modified as high performance street/ track day machines. They are well suited to this, Toyota themselves {and many others} supplied lots of race oriented, over the counter parts. A stock one is nice , and may some day be quite collectable. I would have a hard time calling one a vintage car, but I suppose it would be old enough to meet the legal definition. They are often quite rusty, so look at it underneath carefully.

Greg in Canada

If the paint finish is in good shape, wash it and get some good wax. Wax it 4 times or more. I have polished and waxed an old paint job 9 times and it kept getting smoother and shinier.

Wash and wax the car regularly every 6 months or a year and the paint will not deteriorate. With a good wax job dirt and even small stones will bounce off and do no harm.

Also, get a factory shop manual for the car. A genuine Toyota manual is worth it's weight in gold. Don't bother with a clone such as Haynes or Chilton - get the real deal.

Also, join one of the Toyota forums online. Lot's of good maintenance tips.