Operating manual for Alemite #7056 electrinic wheel balancer

edselsouth1

I am in need of a copy of the operating manual for an Alemite model # 7056 strobe type electronic wheel balancer. I have the strobe unit, and the vibration pickup, as well as the wheel spinner and the adapter rings for 13", 14", and 15" wheels. I have used the rings and spinner, but have not used the strobe, due to not having operating instructions. Anyone? Thanks, David.

Marty, Thanks for the info in regards to the balancer. The Hunter is a unit similar to the Alemite, but is much newer. I'm going to try to do some experimentation with what I have, and try to figure it out. I've used the discs that mount on the rim, to balance tires, but not the strobe part. David.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest pradeepsingh

I've read that on-car spin balancing can be used to balance any type of drive. Whether it be FWD, RWD, AWD, etc. Does anyone know why they say to use the motor to spin the drive wheels only??

Why cant you just jack up each wheel individually, put the care in neutral, spin that wheel by itself with the electric motor, and balance one wheel, one corner at a time not caring if its FWD, RWD, AWD, etc??

I must be a moron or something...I'll admit I know next to nothing about car drivelines, differentials, limited slip differentials, transfer cases, four wheel drive, AWD, etc. So, maybe there is something I'm missing...

Anyone care to school me ?:

;)

Thanks in advance!

• 2 months later...
Guest TR3driver

I've read that on-car spin balancing can be used to balance any type of drive. Whether it be FWD, RWD, AWD, etc. Does anyone know why they say to use the motor to spin the drive wheels only??

Why cant you just jack up each wheel individually, put the care in neutral, spin that wheel by itself with the electric motor, and balance one wheel, one corner at a time not caring if its FWD, RWD, AWD, etc??

I can think of two reasons, not sure which (if either) is correct.

One is that it may take a lot of extra force to spin the differential, driveshaft, transmission and so on, with the risk of overheating the motor in the balancer.  Seems like I've read that someplace.

The other is that the balancer spins the tire really fast, perhaps faster than the speedometer and other components can handle.  My Alemite has a label that says 10,000 rpm, which for a 6" diameter wheel works out to 178 mph.  Someone posted in another thread about having to disconnect the speedo cable on some Oldsmobiles that had the speedo driven from a front wheel.

MikeC5, if you happen to read this, I sure would like a copy of that manual!  I've had an Alemite balancer gathering dust for many years, and I'm going to try to get it going again.  It actually has vacuum tubes inside, so I think I'd best replace a few filter capacitors first, but it would be really neat to have instructions to go with it.

Looking at the probe, it appears to be designed to sit on the floor, and be responsive only to vibrations that push the (horizontal) post in or out of the box.  But I'm not quite clear on what the means relative to where to add weights to the wheel.

I've been through a whole box of original front hubs for my 56 Triumph, and every one seems to be significantly out of balance.  Balancing a wheel to match seems like the way to go, if I can just get this balancer going.

• 1 year later...
Guest A914Man
On 10/9/2013 at 4:45 AM, MikeC5 said:

O.K. David. I'll try and do it this evening. I can try attaching it to this post or PM me your email.

Mike

Is there anyway I could get a copy of this too?  I have one of these and have never used it, because there's no instructions.  There was a shop in my small town that did this kind of balancing years ago, but they've changed hands long ago, and there's no one in my area that does this.  The best balance jobs I ever got were on the car.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Yup.  I don't use it often enough to remember how to use the strobe and pick up and have to re-read it each time.  When I first acquired it, the strobe light was burned out so I would do it by trial & error.  You would be surprised how good you can get it with some guessing and just touching the fender lightly to feel the vibrations.

• 1 year later...

Welcome Joel!

Look up a #12 Miniature lamp and see if that is the same measurements dimensionally as your broken lamp. It is 6.3 volts.

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)

You're welcome Joel.  Even if you can't get the strobe working, it is possible to balance by just trial and error (by feel).  It takes longer but it can be done just by moving the weight around.  And do be careful because the Alemite can spin them up to far higher speed than the typical off-car spin balancer.  I had a car that used a square ended speedo cable that went through the front spindle into a square hole on the bearing cap (and so could be left in place).  I could spin up the wheel to well over 100 mph...

Edited by MikeC5 (see edit history)

The #12 Miniature lamp is rated for 6.3 volts. I had (probably still have) a Bogen FM tuner that used a pair for dial lamps. It had tubes , so 6.3 volts made sense. The style is Bi-Pin, and the Globe is G3 1/2 which is a maximum outer diameter of .463". I guess the G5 base means 5 mm pin spacing.

If you read somewhere around 6 volts on the terminals and the spacing is correct order some, they are still available.