• Please log in to reply
1128 replies to this topic

#1 Landman

Landman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:23 PM

For those of you who hate to see a car "wasting away"...I have had one of my 1931 Dodge coupes since I was 15 years old. I am now 56. It was my very first car. It is still only half restored. Between having children, a divorce, loss of job, moving and other circumstances, it may never get done. Oh well...it's mine and I can dream. I may have the chance to finish it. If I don't, at least I have saved it from getting chopped and rodded.

I have one which sort of falls in Keiser 31's category. It is a 1934 Chevrolet Master coupe. My uncle bought it in 1943. In about 1945 he either sold it or gave it to my dad who drove it until about 1950-51. It was then parked behind the equipment shed on my grandfather's farm. The wheels went on a hay wagon. The seat went on to my grandfather's buggy. We played in it as kids. It was still fairly complete then. I went back in 1979, then 1989 to show my kids where their grasndmother had grown up. By then it was only a shell. Have a peek at what time does.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1989.jpg
  • '79-'80.jpg

#2 Landman

Landman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:46 PM

So in 2001, after getting "downsized" out of the company I had been working for, I went back to look again. I had always had that car in the back of my mind. Here's what I found.

Attached Thumbnails

• Scan2.jpg
  • Scan1.jpg
  • Scan.jpg

#3 keiser31

keiser31

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 20,641 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, OREGON

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:44 PM

Hmmm...a little bondo...a little paint...instant rat rod!

1931 Dodge Brothers DH6 business coupe w/ wire wheels
1931 Dodge Brothers DH6 business coupe w/ wood wheels (my 1st car and still have it)
and visions of my past old cars....

#4 Landman

Landman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:21 PM

Actually, that thought crossed my mind. Anyway I told my wife, if we salvage one part and someone uses it in his restoration then it'll be on the road in spirit. So I went back, jacked it up off the ground and carted it home.

Attached Thumbnails

• Scan9.jpg
  • 12 Mai 2001.jpg
  • Scan5.jpg

#5 keiser31

keiser31

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 20,641 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:06 PM

Now, THAT is awesome that you went and got it!! I would have to have done that, too had it been mine.

1931 Dodge Brothers DH6 business coupe w/ wood wheels (my 1st car and still have it)

#6 Landman

Landman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:43 PM

So I took it apart & stored the body and whatever parts were left in the shed and stuffed the frame under the deck.

Attached Thumbnails

• Scan13.jpg
  • Scan12.jpg
  • Démontage, été 2001.jpg

#7 Landman

Landman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:53 PM

I then started doing some research, in books, on forums especially the VCCA and decided to attempt to rebuild the car. How bold the innocent! First thing I did was gather the wood, identifiy each piece, shellac it so it sort of stays together and figure what I was missing. The plan was to redo the wood structure in softwood to reconstruct the body on it and not damage good hardwood with welding, grinding etc.

Attached Thumbnails

• Shellakcing.jpg
  • Wood patterns.jpg

#8 Landman

Landman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:03 PM

Should I continue this on a separate thread?

Pat :)

#9 Scotts_DG8

Scotts_DG8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • LocationMetro Detroit MI

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:20 AM

Should I continue this on a separate thread?

Yes, without question. This is the forum for just that type of story telling. There is a lot of interest in witnessing the rebuilding and/or resurection of varied types of projects, not to mention providing motivation to those observing and inspiration to those posting the results of their efforts. I for one will be watching if you decide to post your project here. Good luck no matter what your decision is. Scott...
1931 Dodge DG8 Rumble Seat Coupe
1961 Triumph TR3A
1968 Dodge Dart GTS
1969 Dodge A-100 Sportsman
1996 F150 (Original Owner)
2009 Jeep Liberty

#10 Landman

Landman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:36 PM

I had started this in the Sticky thread-The new "current restoration projects", postings 62,63,66,68,69. Looks like I was in the wrong place for a long description.

After the heap was taken apart I set out to find the missing pieces. I found a crushed town sedan in a farmer's windrow locally. A coach on an abandoned farm about an hour away. Five fenders in an old scrapyard. None of it very promising. My wife wasn't impressed. :rolleyes:

Attached Thumbnails

• Come-Along (Clute).jpg
  • Auclair (2002).jpg
  • Town sedan in windrow.jpg

#11 First Born

First Born

Ben Bruce BCA# 44599

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:34 PM

Hang in there!! We will hope she comes around.
My wife keeps saying I need to do another one, only spend no money????

Ben
bca nationals 2012 024

1950 SPECIAL MOD 41D  Second owner

1995 PARK AVENUE

#12 Landman

Landman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:55 AM

I also found some headlights and wheels at a flea market. A grille shell in a friend's garage and a pair of fenders complete with running boards. Well, the fenders turned out to be for a Standard as well as the headlights. Some of the wheels weren't for a '34 at all. I soon recognized that the qualifier "fits '34 Chevrolet" shouldn't be taken at face value. I started seeing the question asked on eBay postings; "Is it for a Standard or a Master?". Clearly, this wasn't leading anywhere. :confused:

Attached Thumbnails

• Grille Shell.jpg
  • Barrie (2002).jpg
  • '34 Standard Fenders.jpg

#13 Landman

Landman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:43 AM

Following up on a lead, I contacted a gentleman who would take some of that stuff in exchange for the correct stuff. So I loaded the frame from the car in the windrow, the Standard fenders and headlights and off I went to New York State. Turns out he was cutting up a body for the quarter panels so I got the roof panels I needed as wellas a trunk lid, front and rear suspensions, more wood patterns and odds and sods. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• Roof.jpg
  • Rarick parts.jpg
  • May '03 (Rarick).jpg

#14 Landman

Landman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:50 AM

At about that time I was called to work. I found an ad for a Close coupled sedan, Canadianese for a Sport Sedan. I bought that. Then another one for the drivetrain af another car that someone rodded. So now I had two drivetrains, two sidemount hardware sets, and a few other things. I never did get his luggage rack though. Also, one of the farmers on my pipeline route had a pile of white ash , sort of grayed and weathered but well cured. I was now ready to start.

Attached Thumbnails

• Lukawesky Coach before.jpg
  • Lucawesky Coach After.jpg
  • Parts Car.jpg

#15 First Born

First Born

Ben Bruce BCA# 44599

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:58 AM

Landman, I am curious. When did all this start??

Ben
bca nationals 2012 024

1950 SPECIAL MOD 41D  Second owner

1995 PARK AVENUE

#16 Landman

Landman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:47 PM

If you are speaking of the project, I picked up the car in 2001 & hunted parts for the next two years.

If you are talking about the thread, it started a week or so ago on the "Stick" thread above.

Pat

Edited by Landman, 11 December 2011 - 01:06 PM.
spelling

#17 Landman

Landman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:59 PM

I started with the wood. I copied what I could from the originals. Some parts were missing one end but when we could find the middle, it was feasible to repeat the mirror image. I had to order what I couldn't reproduce, however I ordered one of each and made a copy whenever thee were rights and lefts.

Attached Thumbnails

• Lock pillar.jpg
  • Hinge pillars with old ones.jpg
  • lumber.jpg

#18 Landman

Landman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:31 AM

Once I had the wood pieces done I started experimenting with assemblies using hard points such as the dash, rocker panels and the body mounting points on the frame. Lo and behold most of it fit. I even have evidence of blood being shed on the windshield header. :)

Pat

Attached Thumbnails

• Wood_8.jpg
  • ASM 2005.jpg
  • Wood_6.jpg
  • Wood_5.jpg

#19 Scotts_DG8

Scotts_DG8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • LocationMetro Detroit MI

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:34 AM

Well aren’t you the master woodworker. Nice work. I’m glad that you made the decision to post your restoration efforts here. If you haven’t noticed already there appears to be a decent following of your posts of which I’ve been one of. I’ve not quite figured out how far you're along on your restoration project or if you're recapping the restoration that you had already completed. But to be sure it makes no difference as it is good reading and we all want to see how this story ends and if the pictures to date are any indication I’m sure it turns out with a happy ending. I’ll be watching, Scott…
1931 Dodge DG8 Rumble Seat Coupe
1961 Triumph TR3A
1968 Dodge Dart GTS
1969 Dodge A-100 Sportsman
1996 F150 (Original Owner)
2009 Jeep Liberty

#20 keiser31

keiser31

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 20,641 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:36 AM

Very inspiring, indeed!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users