Boattail Questions

Brooks in Dallas

I currently own 15 cars (including a '56 Roadmaster 2-door hardtop) and I am starting to look for a boattail Riviera.

I believe the years available are '71-'72-'73.

Overall, I prefer a good body and poor mechanicals, but what options were available? What trim packages am I looking for? Does one of the 3 years stand out above the others?

I do all my own work with my bare hands (well, and the tools smile.gif ) and am just curious what particular year/etc I should try to look for.

Thanks!

--Brooks in Dallas

PS: In the same vicinity, I have a '73 Delta 88 Royale Convertible, 455, dualed from the factory (per the S/N).

There is also a Boattail only dedicated website with no affiliations. It is loaded with photos, specs, etc. Check it out.

The 71's and 72's are very similar. The 73's are different in that they received a grille freshening, 5 mph bumper front and revised tail.

71...straight engine

72...polution pump added, loss of hp

73...new fed emissions restrictions, and the loss of the MaxTrac option.

MaxTrac is the rarest of all options on the boattails, sensor in front wheel hub, and speedo cable entry to tranny, these sensed front and rear wheel revs, and if rears exceeded fronts, the computer logic box in the glove compartment area sent a signal and the timing was retarded. Road & Track did a test, and found the car on a soapy reverse camber track would take it faster than that year's vette.

The timing retard also fed more emmissions into the air, good-bye MaxTrac.....

Was a great option, imagine, flooring it from a dead stop and getting absolute traction forward. Never drove one, have the option but don't have the car any longer.

A few comments . . .

1971 was the year when all GM motors became "low lead fuel/no lead fuel" compatible with lowered compression, typically 8.5-9.0 to one (or less in some cases). This change was supposed to take effect sometime in mid-April 1971 . . . across the board. There were some compatibilities which Buick V-8s already had for these fuels which were changed for the 1972 model year (as Denny Manner noted at a Buick engine seminar at the Buick Centennial Celebration in 2003.)

1971 was also the first year for the "SAE Net" power ratings, which many perceived to be "SAE Gross" as the prior ratings had been, hence the huge power loss which was really not as great as many thought it was. Fuel economy, with the lowered compression ratio, took a hit too (to varying degrees).

The new emissions controls were a little more than just an "ignition retard", but a group of different things which included an altered ignition vacuum and centrifugal advance curve plus carb recalibrations.

As I recall, MaxTrac was a device which killed every-other ignition pulse, not just an ignition retard per se. There was an instrument panel-mounted switch for this option. I'm not sure about the rarity, but if it inadvertantly gets activated, the car has "no power" compared to normal. I suspect the option getting dropped had to do with installatio volumes more than just emissions issues as the emissions testing would be done with MaxTrac turned "OFF" and deactivated. In those "normal" (i.e., contact points rather than electronic) ignition systems of that timeframe, there was no way to electronically retard the spark--spark retard via computer was still many years in the future (for detonation "limiting" rather than other reasons). Finding one with that option might also indicate it was sold "up north" rather than in the southern areas . . . unless the original selling/ordering dealer ordered it for the potential buyer that wanted "everything" on their cars.

Unlike other marques in the car hobby, I don't think that having an option-laden Riviera (or lack thereof) would be worth more than bragging rights, unlike in the Mopar Musclecar realm of things where "1 of __" in model, engine/trans combination, color combination, etc. can affect the car's ultimate value and desireability. To me, getting a nicely-equipped Riv in good condition and looking as great as Boat Tails Rivs can look, getting that car at a good price/value would be more important.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Guest mgibson

The only real differences appear to be "Heavy-duty suspension", "Positive traction differential (3.42 axle ratio standard)" and the "Riviera GS" monogram on front fenders. "MaxTrac" was an option available on all Rivieras in 1971. This information was taken from the 1971 Buick brochure. Hope this helps.

The GS option for the 71-73 Boattail included Stage 1 motor, heavy duty suspension, GS badging, chrome air cleaner cover and positraction but not sure if it was always 3.42 ratio.

You could have, and there are a lot of, a bench seat GS. Do not get hung up on the GS option for 71-73. I am onto a nice 60,000 mile 73 Boattail, non GS but with buckets/console/positraction, etc for $750. The Stage 1 motor added 10 horsepower in 1973 to the standard 455.