1962 Wildcat in OK. unrestored

Pete Phillips

I saw it too, got me wondering why these craigslist sellers don't move a car 3 feet before they take the pictures. If I was looking for $5,000 I'd put $100 into a tug job. Of course they might have invested over their head and can't put the extra into it.

OOps! I just checked online to verify what a tug job would go for, just a little tug, damned Google!

Bernie

Yea I have owned two Wildcats from 62 and know of two others close by in rural Nebraska . I think there was a lot more made than people think. (5 or 6 at the National last year?) I'm not sure why Buick used the same model number on the Wildcat as the Invicta, were they trying to cover up production of this car ? The guess-timate of 1000 seems mighty low to me.

Yea I have owned two Wildcats from 62 and know of two others close by in rural Nebraska . I think there was a lot more made than people think. (5 or 6 at the National last year?) I'm not sure why Buick used the same model number on the Wildcat as the Invicta, were they trying to cover up production of this car ? The guess-timate of 1000 seems mighty low to me.

I thought the guess-timate was 2000?

Yes I think the guess was 2000. My brain shut down for a second on typing 1000. I also agree there is way more than that produced. Just look at all the print ads they had for the Wildcat. Buick didn't do all that to just sell a few cars, and if it underperformed like that they wouldn't have changed the Invicta name to Wildcat altogether in 1963.

There is a book called "Buick: The Postwar Year" by Motorbooks International, which is often referenced in Buick circles. You would think that would be a reliable source too, but they say 43,300 Wildcats were built in 1962. That number even made it into the Buick Bugle article on 1962 fullsize cars (Buick Bugle, April 2012, page 22), which again is a reliable source. The point is that all reference sources contain errors, even those by Buick, so you will need to use more than one source to prove the production number. I've attached some pictures from both those sources.

post-44481-143143020329_thumb.jpg

post-44481-143143020357_thumb.jpg

post-44481-143143020385_thumb.jpg

Edited by sean1997 (see edit history)

Bryan you are correct that Norbye and Dunne list all 4600 series production (excluding wagons) for 1962 as Wildcats. The production totals are rounded, so the totals aren't exact. The 1962 the Wildcat column includes the sum of body styles 4639, 4647, and 4667 which is 42,269 (seems closer to 42,300 than 43,300 to me using conventional rounding rules). The wagon production (4635 and 4645) is 13,748 which is close to the 13,700 listed in the book. There are 26 owners of 4647 cars listed in the 2014 roster.

Edited by sean1997 (see edit history)

Since this thread seems to be getting the attention vs Imperials post "1962 Wildcat Production" I will add some info he was requesting here:

My 62 Wildcat has a build date of 05C (third week May) and was built in Kansas City. It was sold new in May of 63 in Springfield, Oregon. I don't know how to access the registry, but the other 62 Wildcats I know of are:

Camelot Rose car belonging to Chuck Dickinson - Oregon (works at SMS Fabrics)

White on red car - Oregon (belongs to Mr62Buick)

a while back there was a burgandy car that was for sell near Bend, OR. I talked to the seller and he said he bought it from an estate and was told the car was bought new somewhere in Eastern Oregon "right when they came out"

In Wa State there is/was a White on red car (it was at nationals and I was told it formerly belonged to a forum member in California)

From Canada I know of 2 Camelot Rose cars and 1 White on red

In CA there is the White on blue car that is for sale on this forum

In FL there is a poly mist car belonging to Dan Sullivan (who also owns a 62 Invicta vert is very knowledgeable about these years of Buicks, i will call him to see what he has to offer on the subject)