GUNMETAL GRAY/SLAT GRAY '90 Convertible Find

Lee Beery

Indeed, very sharp. I think that color would look outstanding with a burgundy or even red interior, but the grey suits it nicely as well as there is some contrast there. I've seen a few VW convertibles in a charcoal grey with red top and interior, and found it to be a real standout combination. Fully monochromatic vehicles (inside and out) don't seem as visually appealing to me, though that is entirely subjective.

What you have there is an exceptionally clean, well mantained car by the looks of it. Quite lucky to get one like that versus a project car (as I have tended to focus on). I enjoy the process of restoring a car that interests me, but sometimes I wonder if all the cost and effort is worthwhile. Those are the moments I wish I'd have opted for one needing less work.

I can't speak to the convertible top issue, mine is a 91 so operates somewhat differently with respect to the 5 bow latch. Any other problems you may have, please post them. There is a good bunch of owners here and many with technical expertise who can and will be quite helpful in assisting your troubleshooting needs. As well, the forum benefits from active members having something to say, even if it is just to post pictures of a freshly detailed car or relating an enjoyable cruise on a nice day.

Welcome aboard,

KDirk

John do you recognize the plane? It is an Australian design all wood/fabric with a VW type engine (RevMaster) and is called a Corby Starlet DJ1. Mine was built in 1996 and has about 300 hours on it. Weight, 588 pounds about 4 hour range and clips along at 120 knots while doing aileron rolls. As far as I can tell there are only 4 of these little gems flying in the USA. The Reatta and the Corby belong together don't you think?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind comments. The car is awesome. I know I am a lucky guy to find a car in such great condition. Most of my car lookers think the car is just a year or so old. I do have a question for my new found "forum" friends. The power steering seems weak. Takes a great deal more muscle than most cars with power steering. Has any one run into this and found a correction?? I also made a E Bay purchase of a 1990 Reatta Service Manual that has never been used from the looks of it. Took my wife for a great Sunday drive this past weekend for the first time with the top down and she loves the car. We now have 3 Buicks so the Reatta is special and keep in the hangar along with my Corby Starlet, a plane as rare as the Reatta.

grey was a low volume color for all the year Reattas, There were only 37 grey 1990 convertible convertibles made. The most often ordered interior color was grey (we do not have a break down on the interior colors...yet)

Red and Blue were also available.......no grey cars with tan interior have been found.