1939 Buick Trunk forward wall

Guest Downtimesfl

Guest Downtimesfl

Hey Fella's So 1st of many questions. So The guy I bought the car from replaced the forward wall of the truck, or the fire brake between the cabin and the truck with a sheet of 1/4 PT plywood. I'm thinking this is not a great fire brake, and while it is easy to screw into, and I'm sure could make a nice table top somewhere, I think wood really only gets to be in the Chevies, not my poor buick. Can i get any pics of what it is supposed to look like so i can recreate it? Or if you have a line on an origional one that isn't roached to all get out that is repairable.

Thanks in advance!

I cannot say what is correct for your '39 but many cars both entry level and high end had the metal braces covered with cardboard (mounted on the passanger side) there was not much concern about a "firewall".

If you install sheet metal, you could get some noise/vibration from its movement. With all the building products available today you have many choices.

My '39 trunk had some of the original cardboard down the sides. I replaced all the pieces with thin Masonite covered with carpet (late model trunk style carpet in grey) While not original it looks good and is not as extreme as a custom upholstered trunk. The one thing I have not attacked is the underside of the deck lid..... it is crying for attention.

Guest Downtimesfl

okay thanks fella's, I don't even have the braces much less anything else left. my truck floor does look identical though.

My '41 Century had a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood from the factory. 1/4 inch is too thin, but some kind of plywood is indeed correct. I don't think it was there as a fire break, but rather to simply separate the two compartments cheaply and with better sound damping characteristics than sheetmetal.

My '41 Century had a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood from the factory. 1/4 inch is too thin, but some kind of plywood is indeed correct. I don't think it was there as a fire break, but rather to simply separate the two compartments cheaply and with better sound damping characteristics than sheetmetal.

Matt do you know if this would also apply to sedans. I would think so?

Matt do you know if this would also apply to sedans. I would think so?

Billy:

Neither of my 1939 Special parts sedans had a plywood bulkhead behind the rear seat. The seat back hooks directly to the sheet metal structure. There was a thin "trim panel" installed on the trunk side of the seat back support structure.

My 46S coupe and 46C convertible have or had a 3/4 inch plywood bulkhead with sheet metal clips that the rear seat back attaches to. I have a badly deteriorated but intact bulkhead from the 46S that will serve as a pattern.

Bob H

Billy:

Neither of my 1939 Special parts sedans had a plywood bulkhead behind the rear seat. The seat back hooks directly to the sheet metal structure. There was a thin "trim panel" installed on the trunk side of the seat back support structure.

My 46S coupe and 46C convertible have or had a 3/4 inch plywood bulkhead with sheet metal clips that the rear seat back attaches to. I have a badly deteriorated but intact bulkhead from the 46S that will serve as a pattern.

Bob H

Thanks Bob, neither of mine had any wood either, but it would make sense that something would be there. Maybe not.

Edited by MrEarl
chngd truck to trunk (see edit history)