GS 455 TIMING CHAIN COVER OIL SEAL REPLACEMENT

RICK YOUNG

Ok, I'm diving into my 72 GS 455.

It does not have a rope gasket on the crank shaft, it has a new style neoprene # ASA 382-6. Can't find that anywhere in any parts store.

Apparently ASA is a Taiwan Company

Does anyone know the National number or similar common suppler # for the oil seal that goes in the cover?????

Thanks

I cannot answer your specific question but I can report that two weeks ago I was asked at my NAPA store, if I wanted the kit with the neoprene or the kit with the rope seal. That was for my wagon which has the 350 motor, not the 455. But apparently their computer showed both options.

Picked up the correct National seal (#450446) this morning. Special shout out to Greg at Oreilly's in Webster City, Iowa. He worked with me.

This is circle dirt track country here. So there are a gazillion small block Chebby's. Go into a parts store or machine shop with needs on a 401 nailhead or a 455 and you get........

"Oh yeah those are cool engines I had a friend who had one back in 73, but I don't know about parts for one".

Thanks everyone for your input.

Willie, Good to here from you.

Rick, If you have someone who will work with you at O'reilly's hang on to his number. He is worth his weight in gold. It amazing what they have that they don't know about because they don't deal in them everyday.

I can get most of the hard parts for my Riviera from them if I go to the right person. If not, then its "Dashpot, what the heck is a dashpot ?"