Interior color question

bikemikey

I have an 89 Reatta with a white exterior and a red type interior. I can not find the sticker that gives you the code for that red color. I've heard it called burgundy , maroon, and also garnet red. I know it's not the flame red that came out on the 91 cars. It's like a light wine color. Does anyone know what the official color is, of that interior. Thanks.

Mike

The info that Ronnie linked you to will not give you what you seek. The interior color info may be available from your local paint supplier. They will have books that link you to the car and color. It get more confusing as paint for metal parts may have a different reference name/number than paint for plastic and vinyl. I don't think anyone has compiled this information here.

The names GM used can also help/hinder the search. In Buick sales information the burgundy interior used on 88-90 Reattas is called just plain RED, (the trim code is 78) but in the service parts code book it might be RED, GARNET RED.

I guess we'll just call it red. The parts certification sticker on the door is missing, which helps break down some of the codes. But like you say even with some numbers it still gets confusing. I was thinking about dyeing the seats back to original color. I'll have to snip a piece of leather underneath the seat, that has not yet seen the sun, to get closer to the original color of the leather, places that mix custom dye blends recommend that be done. So I'll just call it a red that looks like burgundy, hows that. Thanks guys.

Mike

Technically code 78 is called 'garnet red'. It is a shade of burgundy. But GM has had a couple of 'burgundy-like' colors that are different. For example the 'ruby red' in some 90s GM vehicles (code 76) looks much the same at a glance. But it has slightly more purple than garnet does.

Guest my3buicks

I found that out the hard way with my 90 white convertible, I bought a set of nice used horn buttons out of a Roadmaster that appeared to be the right color, they fit and worked perfectly, but the color was without question different.

Here is what I know for certain:

1988-90 "red" (bugundy) is officially called garnet red.

1988-91 tan is officially called beechwood.

1991 red (bright red) is called flame red.

These color names are applicable to headliner material, interior vinyl and interior parts colorant as sold by both DuPont and Sherwin Williams. Probably to carpet too, but carpet is not always sold by the marketing name used by the manufacturers where the other materials usually are.

I've not verfied the official name of either shade of grey used or the shade of blue as I do not own a car with those interior colors.

You can go to an auto paint store and have them verify th color name and code for your car by year and model. The charts have color chips to verify visually as well.

KDirk

For exterior paint that is absolutely correct; always use the code number. For interior colorant the code number can and should be used as well for accuracy.

For yardage of interior vinyl or headliner material you pretty well have to know the name of the color as the suppliers of these materials typically sell them by color name, not a number. A visual match can be made to a sample card if one is available, knowing the name is easier.

KDirk