67 Riviera carb

lassejoens

Hi all

I´m looking for a carburetor for my 67 Riviera. I have ben searching ebay for a while now without any luck. There is a lot of rochester Qjet's, but none from 67.

The 67 Riviera has the pitch switch and I was told it is a lot of work to modify a Qjet from another year or model to work with a switch pitch.

Does anyone have a 67 riviera Qjet carb for sale, or know of another one that will work

thanks

Lasse from Denmark

I have a '66 Q-jet and manifold for a '66, probably very close in design as the '67. I also have a Rochester 'service replacement' for the same engine. Jon 'The Carb King' told me it would be much better to use the service replacement carb rather than the OE carb. The service replacement carbs incorporated updates and fixes that were not on the original carbs. These updates and fixes get rid of a lot of the problems that those first year's carbs had. Perhaps you can find the roll number for a service replacement for your '67, you'd be a lot better off with it. ALL TH400's (Buick called them ST400's) used an electric kickdown. It could be that the same carb linkage was used in '68 and later and only the switch (not part of the carb) that controlled the switch picth feature was different.

Ed

The manifolds are definitely different but they have the same bolt pattern for the attaching the carb. ALL Quadrajets are interchangeable as far as bolting them to a manifold but that's where any similarity ends. I have the OE Q-jet from the 66, a service replacement for a '66, one from a '74 Olds 455, one from a '69 Buick 430 (sold), and one from an '85 (307 Olds powered) Riviera. Each carb can be bolted to the '66 manifold. I wouldn't guarantee that they'd all run well, but they will bolt on.

Ed

(I was trying to find the best carb to use with a TH200-4R overdrive transmission. Jon say the best one for me to use is the '66 service replacement and attach an adapter to it to control the throttle valve cable.)

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

The Rochester Q-Jet was introduced in 1965. It probably took at least 7 nanoseconds after the first one was started to be awarded the label of quadrajunk.

The early Q-Jets had several reliability issues; all of which were addressed and corrected by Rochester by the 1969 models. While generally these reliability issues can be corrected by a professional, they require machine work; and may end up putting the cost of rebuilding/restoration out of the comfort zone for many. Some of these issues are:

(1) internal dashpot - correctable with machining

(2) unbrella fuel valve - kit available

(3) 3-thread fuel inlet nut - pulled inlet threads, generally repairable with a heli-coil, unless a self-tapping nut has been used, which generally ruins the casting.

(4) pressed in well plugs - correctable with machining and replacement kit

(5) plastic fast idle cam - metal replacements were/are available for many different applications

Service replacement units, incorporating these changes, were made available for many applications.

A couple of other possible issues:

(6) aluminum throttle body often requires bushings (a trait shared by many other carburetors with aluminum throttle bodies)

(7) float pin placement (changed on different applications at different times in the early 1970's, I believe all were changed by 1975, Olds being the last).

Design clearance of throttle shaft to throttle body was 0.004~0.006 inch. We have found that idle issues will not be a problem with an additional wear of 0.003 inch. Clearance may be measured with a dial-indicator. If 0.009 inch is exceeded, bushing is suggested.

The float pin placement is not a reliability issues, rather a performance limiting issue for racers. Just as sure as taxes, if I give a number, someone is going to chime in that they exceeded that number; but 400 horsepower is pretty much the realistic limit for the early pin placement. For those that are happy with whatever horsepower came with the engine can forget about the pin placement. Changing the pin placement is done by using a carburetor on which the new pin placement was done by Rochester.

All in all, by the mid-1968 models, these were/are wonderful street carburetors, and if one uses one slightly later with the revised pin placement, wonderful race carburetors as well. Those who persist in calling them quadrajunks, either are mechanically inept, or simply "parroting".

One caviat would be be sale/use of the self-tapping "repair" fuel inlet fitting. These things will ruin the main body so that a professional repair with a helicoil of the inlet threads is impossible.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)

In '67 the choke was moved to the intake 'well' and steel fuel line replaced the rubber. With later qjets, the linkages interfered with the intake when mounted. Dan Mpls. Mn.

My '69 Buick carb and all the other I listed in my previous post all had a hot air choke coil on the side of the carb. With all of the carbs I mentioned, none had a clearance issue with the '66 Q-Jet nailhead manifold; that's why I bought them.

Guest lemmy-67

Just stay away from the remanufactured Q-Jets which started in the 80s....all of those are worse than junk. The only thing they'll do is pass emissions tests.