Plugs and gap with HEI

Guest Im4darush

Guest Im4darush

Guys, will I be ok running the ACR45s plugs in a 65 401 that has HEI? I wasn't sure if I should go down to the 43, and got the 45. I know I should increase the gap to .35-.40 with HEI.

Standard Sunday drive usage, no racing.

Guys, will I be ok running the ACR45s plugs in a 65 401 that has HEI? I wasn't sure if I should go down to the 43, and got the 45. I know I should increase the gap to .35-.40 with HEI.

Standard Sunday drive usage, no racing.

45 on the heat range is fine.....Keep in mind that the wider you gap the plugs, the more likely you are to burn a hole through the

ignition rotor or have spark leaking out of the plug wires. I'd leave the gap no more than .35. The big issue with HEI is the spark is so hot

the ignition components can't hold it in. Also make sure the tang on the ignition rotor is bent upwards enough to firmly ride on the carbon

tip in the middle of the top of the cap so there is no arcing taking place. My Dad bought a new 79 Camaro back in 1979 and right after it left

the Chevy dealer with ten miles on it, spark was jumping out of the side of one of the wires to the block(It had the plugs gapped very wide at the factory)

Guest Im4darush

Thanks guys. Do you think I am better off with the AC R45's, or the champions? I think the champions are the correct heat range but not 100%. They are listed as the plug to use for the application pretty much everywhere. When I took them out, they were gapped at .045 by the previous owner. I will say that the car had good quality MSD 8mm wires. Did not really look to see if there was any arcing going on prior to tearing it all down, but it ran pretty well and did not seem to have a miss.

Im sure bosch is a great plug, but since this motor is all factory...im going to use a standard cheap plug. Just trying to decide if I should stick with the champions or go with the 45s considering I am running HEI.

If factory is what you're after, then I'd go with the AC's. Then you'll need to go to http://www.lectriclimited.com/mainpage.htm and get the correctly dated plug wires - Lectric Limited part # 3330-641, the original wires had a hood on them that fit into the spark plug hole to keep dirt and moisture out. Battery cables, and T3 headlight bulbs. Then you'll need to get the tower clamps for the radiator hoses, and some Corbin clamps for the heater hoses. Probably not the last thing, but you would need a correct Declo group 27 top post battery. It's endless.

The reason that Tom T. recommends Bosch plugs is that there's no need to worry about what kind of ignition system you have or worrying about gap if you run the pre-gapped platinum plugs.

Ed

PS - if you use the correct spark plug wires, no one can see the spark plugs. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys. Do you think I am better off with the AC R45's, or the champions? I think the champions are the correct heat range but not 100%. They are listed as the plug to use for the application pretty much everywhere. When I took them out, they were gapped at .045 by the previous owner. I will say that the car had good quality MSD 8mm wires. Did not really look to see if there was any arcing going on prior to tearing it all down, but it ran pretty well and did not seem to have a miss.

Im sure bosch is a great plug, but since this motor is all factory...im going to use a standard cheap plug. Just trying to decide if I should stick with the champions or go with the 45s considering I am running HEI.

I personally dont like Champion spark plugs. Once they fuel foul they are never the same. If you cant get the right heat range in AC Delco (BTW I think you will be OK with the 45`s for cruising) check Motocraft. They make a good plug and should be inexpensive. Of course, the NGK platinums is apples to oranges...but personally I think it pays dividends to use the highest quality spark plugs that are available...just my 2 cents,

Tom Mooney

Guest Im4darush
Take a look at the plug wires on the engine in post #9 of this thread. You can see the proper date and the hood over the spark plug hole to which I made an earlier reference.

http://forums.aaca.org/f177/silver-engine-color-1963-riviera-379068.html#post1338882

Ed

I see what you are talking about Ed. If I ever put my original points distriibutor back in the car, I will have to get a set!