Please help with this carburetor - 1917 Mack truck

30DodgePanel

I see that Fountainhead has a 1917 Mack AB - http://fountainheadauto.blogspot.co.nz/2014/06/built-like-mack-ab-flatbed-truck.html - but the engine looks different to the one in your photo, though the basic layout is similar.

I agree, it does look like the same layout, block looks the same, exhaust manifold seems to be the biggest difference. Not sure about which engine has the correct fan. I thought the fan on the truck I seen looked like a Dodge Brothers fan originally, now it makes me wonder that again..

I guess I'll go ahead and retrieve the manifold and some other parts, I'm sure someone will need them down the road somewhere...

Here's what's left of the ole girl:

post-69994-143142654902_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142654883_thumb.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

The Stromberg OT series are great truck carburetors, but a wee bit later than 1917. The first record of use that I have seen would be 1921.

Jon.

Thanks for the feedback Jon.

Any idea of what makes and models this was designed for originally ? I'd like to see it back in the hands of someone who needs it for a correct restoration.

That looks like quite a yard full of parts and projects! Where is it? I am sure someone needs the whole Mack not just a few bits and pieces. These trucks are quite desirable , and parts are getting hard to find. Any similar vintage Packard truck parts or parts trucks?

Greg in Canada

That looks like quite a yard full of parts and projects! Where is it? I am sure someone needs the whole Mack not just a few bits and pieces. These trucks are quite desirable , and parts are getting hard to find. Any similar vintage Packard truck parts or parts trucks?

Greg in Canada

If I told you I'd have to kill ya ;).

It's out in the Arizona desert. I believe he does have some Packard stuff but don't recall if it's truck or not.

Any recommendations/websites to visit in order to finding a possible buyer for it the way it sits ?

Thanks for the feedback Jon.

Any idea of what makes and models this was designed for originally ? I'd like to see it back in the hands of someone who needs it for a correct restoration.

I have 57 entries in my database, mostly Mack and Diamond T., but several other users as well.

Jon.

I have 57 entries in my database, mostly Mack and Diamond T., but several other users as well.

Jon.

Jon, do I just follow all the OT-2's on this list of truck applications to match which trucks it fits ?

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/TruckkitsM.htm#TkitMack

Or are there more avenues that will show more applications on your site ?

Dave - I have tried in years past to include my entire database on the website; but as I added information to the database, I did not have time to upload. And the Stromberg documents were not in really usable fashion. We have spent a lot of money and considerable time in digitizing many of the original documents. But the data listed on the website is pretty accurate.

If you want a more complete listing, try using the search engine of your choice with the following entry

thecarburetorshop.com OT-2

Note the space between the com and the O

This should give you links to all of the OT-2 carbs listed on the website.

And I am really glad you are using it. While it is a commercial venture, the data was put out on the web for enthusiasts to use.

Jon.

Dave - I have tried in years past to include my entire database on the website; but as I added information to the database, I did not have time to upload. And the Stromberg documents were not in really usable fashion. We have spent a lot of money and considerable time in digitizing many of the original documents. But the data listed on the website is pretty accurate.

If you want a more complete listing, try using the search engine of your choice with the following entry

thecarburetorshop.com OT-2

Note the space between the com and the O

This should give you links to all of the OT-2 carbs listed on the website.

And I am really glad you are using it. While it is a commercial venture, the data was put out on the web for enthusiasts to use.

Jon.

Thank you very much Jon.

Off topic:

I still plan on ordering a rebuild kit for my Zenith Updraft 114 1/2 for the 30 Panel, but I found out that the carb I had is not an exact match so I have to hold off till I find the correct carb I need. As soon as I find the right one you'll be my first contact for parts.

Thank you sir! You're always a great help.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest HeislerLoco

Dave,

I'm interested in some parts off of that Mack truck. Can you post more photos of the truck so I can see what is there?

Thanks,

Scott

Greg in Canada

Hey Greg, I looked the last time I was out but did not find any Packard truck parts, only mid 30s passenger car remnants. I'll keep checking for you but as of yet, no luck.

Scott here are some more photos of the two Mack trucks next to each other.

The last four photos are of something I forgot to check the ID on while I was there. Is that a Mack truck ?

For those interested in Packard truck parts I'm still looking for Packard trucks but with no luck yet....

Sorry for the bad photos, I had my camera set on the wrong settings for a while and didn't realize it.

post-69994-143142689265_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142689304_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142689242_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142689245_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142689247_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142689249_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142689251_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142689253_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142689255_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142689257_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142689259_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142689262_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142689276_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142689285_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142689294_thumb.jpg

Thanks for checking on the possibility of Packard Truck stuff. That site looks like a treasure trove. I sure hope new homes can be found for it all ,not the scrap man who all too often ends up with big collections like this. What does the current owner want to do with it all? Just curious its too far from me.

Greg in Canada

No problem, I love searching and learning...

Current owner is planning on holding onto it. It's in the hands of the next generation now as the original owner has passed and the kids are very good people. They're easy to deal with and plan on holding onto it. They have had 7 figure offers for everything but have turned it down.

I seriously doubt it's going anywhere soon, the last time I was out there he had some new stuff on the lot (67-69 Plymouth Fury he pulled from a Desert Ranch) and he's in the buying mode like his ole man was so that's a good sign for future local guys who will need parts later. I don't want to jinx it but I don't see this place going to the scrap man anytime soon. He may have Packard truck stuff but I may not be recognizing it when I see it.

Can you post sample photos of Packard Truck parts you're interested in so I can have it on file ? Go ahead and post them here on this thread so it's all in one place or PM me your email address and we can exchange photos and information via email.