Family Photo w/ Mystery Car

suainie

This family photo was taken around 1913 and I would like to know if anyone can identify the car in the photo. It sure looks like a Pierce Arrow except for the shape of the hood. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

This looks like a 1909 Oldsmobile Model D touring, but the Model D had rounded front fenders rather than the flat tops seen here. Could it be a 1908 Model M or MR?

It definitely has the Olds radiator and hubcap showing. It looks new which probably explains the group photo.

Guest cardinal905

Why is no-one smiling, if I had that car you would not be able to see my head from the teeth showing!!

It kind of looks like a model M except for it has wheels with 10 spokes. The only picture I have of a 1908 model M shows wheels with 12 spokes. The 1908 model X wheels had 10 spokes but also had front fenders that swept back to a short running board. The 1907 model A had ten spoke wheels and flat topped fenders That looked a little shorter than the fenders in the picture. Maybe we should consider the possibility of this being a late 1907 model A which has some fenders from the 1908 model M. The back of the body has just a little uptick to the back of the rear seat rather than a gradual rise which looks more like a 1908 model M. Maybe its an early 1908 Model M that used 10 spoke wheels from 1907. These early Oldsmobiles often had running changes introduced throughout the year rather than by the year. Anybody else have any interesting ideas?

Guest imported_oldmitchell

I believe that this is a 1908 Olds. My reasons are: Radiator is same style as 07/08, front seat has curvature found in 08/09, side lamps are 08 style, hubcaps appear to be 08, front doors are 07/08 style. The comments about Olds doing running changes are correct but some things were not changed (such as the seat curve) until model year changed. The seat configuration narrows it down to 08/09, but the front doors and hubcaps look 08. BTW, I am currently restoring my 1907 Olds model A and this info comes from the pictures I have been collecting to aid in the restoration.

Would you be smiling after traveling on a dusty, dirty 1908 road that is full of ruts and pot holes and tire poping nails? frown.gif ....The good old days! what was so good about them? crazy.gif ..... laugh.gif Dave!

Guest cardinal905

No traffic, No computers, No cell phones, No Muslim extremists, No 30 ball game/practices a week, No telemarketers, No Identity theft, AND GAS ALMOST FREE.

Guest rbl2

No indoor plumbing, no hot running water, no A/C, wages at $10 a week, ...

Crime was also much lower. A trade may be well worth it.