1922 Dodge Brothers Speedster

Guest chopprjok

Guest chopprjok

Hey Guys,

New to the blog site, but have had a 1922 Speedster for 12 years. It ran and drove fine up until 3 years ago, when I took an all expense paid vacation on the government to Iraq. Got it out of storage Sunday, and cleaned it up good. Got it scheduled for the upholstery shop to get some new seat covers thrown on it. Leaning toward leather diamond tuck, what do you guys suggest. The car is an older restoration, but I am still real proud of it, and it is super fun to drive. Putting a battery and new cables on it this evening. The motor is free I turned it over by the crank last night, anyone got any tips for getting it started?

I will post some pics of my yellow and black baby this evening.

chopprjok

First of all THANKS for serving. Second, welcome to the forum. If the engine turns over good by hand and has compression on ALL cylinders I see no reason it won't start. Compression on ALL tells me that none of the valves are stuck. Let's see some pictures. Is the engine stock? Trick head or carb?

Guest chopprjok

As far as I can tell, the car is stock with the exception of the electric fuel pump. I have had difficulty finding other speedsters. I was wondering does anybody out there have pictures of other speedsters? Mine when I purchased it was called a bobtail speedster. I will put some pictures online tonight of it.

I am worried about the points needing filing and stuff like that, has anyone installed the electronic ignition in their 4 cyl? I saw it advertised on the Romar website, and it appears to be a good deal since the components for a standard ignition cost almost as much. I would love any guidance that you have on that.

Thanks

Chop

Guest chopprjok

Do you have to be a member of the antique auto club of america to post pictures or access the photo gallery? Every time I try to open the photo gallery it kicks me out.

Chop

Guest chopprjok

If anyone wants pictures forward me your email address in a post and I will send you the pictures.

Update on getting her cranked. Installed new battery and terminal ends tonight. Cables looked fine. Turned on the power and could hear the electric fuel pump running. So that was a good thing. Tried cranking for a few seconds but didn't get it to hit. So I pulled a plug and hit the ignition again. Plugs are getting fire, but look burned, so tomorrow I get to stop by the local parts dealer for some new plugs. I need a little more fuel in the tank, because the pump kept cycling trying to pressurize.

On the 4 cylinder, where is the best place to inject ether? Is it the spot between the block and the carbuerator? That seemed like the only opening to the carb.

Chop

Guest chopprjok

Here is a new update, the vehicle is running fine. Have put about 10-15 miles on her in the last 2 or 3 days. All is well with the exception of a leaking water pump. The exhaust has a small leak around where the manifold meets the tail pipe. I can live with both of these issues, and I will try to attack each of them as time permits. Still trying to get used to the transmission not having synchronizers. I feel like I am going to destroy the transmission some times when I shift, but others it seems to just slip right into gear.

All in all the car is a gem. She still handles great and she has a date with an upholsterer a week from Monday. I will forward some new pictures then.

Chop

That is a great looking speedster! I have several DB's and at one time wanted to do a speedster but put it off to do full bodied cars. Now I want to do one more than ever. I love it!

Keep sharing the pics!

Dave

Guest chopprjok

Doug,

When is Hershey? I ordered some parts from Romar today. I am getting everything I will need to fix the exhaust system back up. I also ordered the stuff to re-pack the water pump. So the next two weekends that I get off will be taken up with that. Probably should have it complete by December HAHAHA!!

Is the DB club worth joining? What do you receive as part of your membership? How often do the news letters come out?

Chop

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chopprjok</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doug,

When is Hershey?

Is the DB club worth joining? What do you receive as part of your membership? How often do the news letters come out?

Chop </div></div>Hershey is Oct. 10-13, same weekend every year. If you don't know, it's the largest car show in the world. Sure hope SteveMoskowitz doesn't see your questions. Choppr, you really left yourself open asking about membership!! I'll let Steve tell you the bennies of AACA. AACA and DBC newsletter comes every 2 months. DBC has 2 meetings a year, one at the nat'l convention {this year at Lethbridge, Canada from July 16 to 22} and the other Fri. night of Hershey, catered allyoucaneat ham, roast beef, AND chicken dinner. Did I say tickets are on sale at 14.50??

Guest chopprjok

I took her for a drive at dusk tonight, my daughter and I were driving it with the headlights on and they suddenly dimmed and we saw some smoke coming out from under the dashboard. I shut the car down and turned off the lights, it started fine and everything worked well on the way home, but I never turned the lights back on. I guess I have something going to ground, and it will need some time spent on it.

The car seems to be running hot. Do these cars naturally run pretty warm? It has the right fan on it, but I have a steady drip coming out the back shaft on the water pump. I ordered the stuff to repack the shafts, but is there anything else that I should check? How hard is it to take the radiator out and is it safe to have it rodded at a local shop? I can already tell that I need to replace the hoses, all three look alright but they are time rotted.

Open to any suggestions that you guys might have.

Jason

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chopprjok

The 22 is currently at the upholsery shop getting some new seat covers installed. Hope to have new pictures next week for you.

Chop

Guest chopprjok

http://photos.aaca.org/showphoto.php?photo=10833

Howard there is the link to the picture.

The parts are on order from Romar to repair the water pump. I was told that they would ship around Wednesday, so I probably will get them Monday. Bad thing is I didn't have anything planned for the weekend, so it would have been the perfect weekend to work on it. I haven't done anything on the lights. I am going to try to find a local source for some of the braided wire. Then I will just start trading out one wire at a time. to ensure that nothing is done wrong.

I don't think I told you, but I ordered a new tail pipe, tail pipe nut, and the compression flanges for the exhaust. I had a small leak at some point in the system, so if I replace all that it should be good as new.

She still isn't going to be a show car, but she should be a lot of fun to drive once or twice a week, and probably still do alright at the local show and shines.

Best thing is she's mine. HAHAHAHA