Any Packard mechanics in the southeast?

Guest sherlok

Guest sherlok

Hi Guys,

I've still not bought my Packard, but my older brother beat me to the punch by recently acquiring a beautiful 1940 Super Eight Touring Sedan. He is not a hands-on guy at this point in his life and needs a little help. We are in the Chattanooga, Tennessee area.

His problem with it now is that it dies after driving about 30 minutes. When it cools down, it runs fine for awhile. Anyone know of a good Packard or general antique mechanic in this part of the world that could help him out.

Thank you,

Sherlok

Guest imported_Packards1

Same thing happened to me 15 years ago. The other guys are correct, it's almost always the coil needing replacement when you are having problems like you describe.

Agreed. Change the coil. My 47 would do the same thing until I changed the coil. If you still have a coil on the firewall with the anti theft armoured ignition wire connected to the back end of the coil you will have to remove the coil and the back cover to get at the wire or just hook up a new universal coil and use a wire from any ignition activated terminal.

For future reference (if the new coil doesn't solve your brother's problem), I know of a 1940 Packard expert mechanic in Nashville, if that's not too far away. I consult with him all the time.

Email me at StelvioGT @ yahoo. com (note: delete spaces if copying/pasting)

I also have a 1940 Super 8 Touring Sedan.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good advice. </div></div>

Yep, it only took me three tows in 2 weekends a year ago to figure out it was a bad coil. Good thing for AAA:D

Guest sherlok

Thanks fellas for your replys. We certainly can change a coil and condenser.

Now if we could just convince my brother to get computer literate... There is a wealth of knowlege on these forums.

Many Thanks again,

Sherlok