RARE? Rght Hand Drive Model "A" Touring

Guest Silverghost

Guest Silverghost

A friend here in Philadelphia just bought a Right Hand Drive Model "A" Touring car from an estate...(Navy Blue with origional top!)

I had never seen a RHD "A" before...

Were many built ???

Do many still exst???

Were were these built???(He thinks South America)

This car has some strange ID tags on it that I have never seen on another Model "A" (I am no "A" expert...but have seen many )

He is thinking of converting it to LHD and has the old parts to do this; left-over from previous restoratons...

He does not like driving a RHD car...

I told him I thought this was a BIG MISTAKE...

This car is very unique...as it is origional.

What do you Ford Model "A" collector/restorers think he should do...Convert to LHD or Leave it as oigional ???

My Vote: Keep it ORIGIONAL!

The right hand drive A's show up on Ebay every now and then. Most are being imported from South America. I have previously seen somebody selling them with all of the required parts to convert them to left hand drive. Usually, the right hand drive versions sell considerably cheaper here than the left hand drive ones. For safetly reasons, I would not want to drive a right hand drive one here.

I'd leave it original. If he wants a left hand drive A, there are plenty to chose from. Can't see why he even bought it in the first place.

Right hand drive A's are fairly common overseas in places like England and English colonies.

All car makers made right hand drive vehicles for export. Occasionally someone would special order one in the US for rural mail delivery. The post office bought a lot of Jeep delivery vehicles.

Not so rare and not really desirable. No reason not to convert back to LHD if that is what he is comfortable driving. The only reason not to convert is if the car was particularly original or it was a particularly good restoration. There are people putting RHD cars back together that would like to have the parts.

Keep in mind the RHD cars were frequently made (assembled) in other countries. The bodies are not always built the same as USA cars and will have more wood in them.

I think the RHD would be less desirable in most cases as the other guys point out. I do not think there is too much to be done to properly convert and he will probably realize around 15 or even 20% in terms of price difference should he ever sell. So it may be worthwhile doing at some point, he would probably be ahead of the game even if he has someone do this for him.

Of course if he does confirm over time that the car is original and wants to keep it 100% original that is a big factor.

Renninger's Model A & Schwalm's Babbitted Bearings are two Lancaster area places he may want to get familliar with.

Your friend will find these are simple and rewarding cars to work on, this is basic advice but he wants to join at least one of the National clubs (they are similar, most belong to both); join a local and get at least one basic handboook. I like Les Andrew's Model A Mechanic's Handbooks myself because they are sort of spiral bound, with fairly good sized print - easy to keep on a workbench. Lastly, he can check out Ahooga.com & Fordbarn.com - similar in format to this site but much more heavily visited by Model A folks.

What year is it? Any Pix?

Guest Silverghost

The car is in very good Origional condiion...

I called it a Touring car because it has a very large open body with a back tufted leather seat that is higher than the front leather tufted seat...For a Model "A" it is very large! The body reminds me of a Ford "T " touring from the firewall back; but much longer.The car has an unusual beltline & doors with half-round metal trim surrounding the door skins. It is a very large open car with a large origional convertable top. From the firewall foreward...It is all model "A" except for the fact that it is RHD . We suspect that this body was made in South or Central America...Never saw a Ford-Built "A" with a body anything quite like it!

Engine, gearbox, rear-end is all model "A"

The dark Navy Blue paint is very old but in very good shape...some slight chips & shrinkage cracks etc.

This body style looks like a much older type than what you would typically find on a Ford-Built Model "A".

The body is very unusual...& very attractive...The doors have compound curves...Not a home-built body...

This is the work of a very skilled carriage maker. (unusual on a Ford "A"

This car was owned by a very wealthy family since new!

Because of this unusual and very attractive body...(non-standard Ford-type) I thought that it might be rare...Add Right Hand Drive and you have a very unusual origional car...

Next week I will get some Digital Photos for this posting...