Service Engine Soon

FredofNJ

I have searched but could not find this topic discussed.

After my SES light came on, I went to my mechanics to have them determine the code and correct any problem. However, when the analyzer is connected there are no codes in the PCM and no history codes. There are erroneous reading from the analyzer. Some examples are:

Battery Voltage reads 0.4

Spark advance is off

Air Temp is out of range

The SES light is no on continuously.

The car seems to run just fine mechanically and electrically.

The computer was switched out but did not rectify the bad readings or SES light.

Is this a ground problem? Is it a computer problem (EPROM)? There was no spare EPROM to check?

Does anyone have any ideas??

Is it safe to drive? (I have driven about 60 miles since the light came on and I tried to check the codes.)

This is a 1989 Reatta coupe with about 155,000 miles on it.

PS the brake and abs lights flash when I put foot on brakes, but only slightly and this seemed to always be a part of the car's system.

Press the climate button to bring up the climate screen. Press the <span style="font-weight: bold">OFF</span> and <span style="font-weight: bold">WARM</span> soft keys at the same time until it goes into diagnostic mode. The screen will display any codes stored that are current or history. Write them down and report back. Press the <span style="font-weight: bold">END</span> soft key to exit diagnostic mode. We'll go from there. The flashing brake light thing has me concerned too. One thing at a time. SES codes first.

I too have a '89 Reatta. When I was driving back to Wisconsin after purchasing my car I had much the same thing happen. My touch screen would say service engine soon. Every thing else seemed fine. Here's what I did. First have your car "off", then turn your key to the "run" position. Does your amber service engine soon light come on? [The one in the dash]? My bulb was burned out. Replaced no further problems. Turns out this bulb is part of the engine diagnostics and must work. If the problem is any more serious, just wait and someone with way more knowledge then me will weigh in.

At any rate welcome to the club, you will find the people on this board friendly,knowledgable, and willing to help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Is it safe to drive? (I have driven about 60 miles since the light came on and I tried to check the codes.)

This is a 1989 Reatta coupe with about 155,000 miles on it.

PS the brake and abs lights flash when I put foot on brakes, but only slightly and this seemed to always be a part of the car's system. </div></div>

Is it safe to drive?????

Probably NOT, if red and yellow brake warning lamps are iluminated!

GOTO Reatta.net and take the brake test, report back with your results.

P.S. Welcome to the online "World of Reattae"!! Post a photo of your car!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ... One thing at a time. SES codes first. </div></div>

OK here is what I am getting ...

EO41 Current

EO39 History

EO41History

B122History

B123 History

B446 History

B671 History

B553History

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">041 is the cam sensor. Any problems starting the car? </div></div>

No ... starts like a champ.

What about the bogus (it seems) engine and electrical readings on the computer analyzer used by by mechanic??????

Guest wally888

1. The brake tests at site below will pinpoint the brake problem. I agree w/ previous poster, probably a bad accumulator=dangerous and the pump is running excessively=may burn out=big bucks! This is a dangerous condition=in emergency you may lose brakes, have wreck!

2. Code 41 current is a problem with the cam sensor or can sensor magnet. I THINK 99 times out of 100 it is the cam sensor magnet. Probably will cost 500 to $600 to replace however (guess I'm an expert now)with the help of forum members I was able to replace the magnet from outside the engine. Spent only the cost of the cam sensor magnet, <$15.

I could tell no difference in performance of the engine before or after the magnet replacement!

Primary difference is that with 041, the engine never goes into the "sequential" mode and may run a little richer (gas mileage not as good)to compenste for the lack of precision. It will feel fine though.

Guest wally888

I will be able to determine if my MPG has improved when I fill up next time. Guess I should have filled up last time, bought 10 gals. thinking prices might go down. Wrong!

EO41 Cam Sensor Circuit

EO39 Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Circuit

B122 Panel Dimming Potentiometer

B123 Panel Lamp Switch circuit

B446 Low Refrigerant

B671 Cruise Servo Position

B553 CRT Memory Keep alive

I'm surprised you don't have a C448

The only one that is of concern is the 41. The 'correct' way to fix a bad magnet or interupter it is to remove the front cover. Many people here have had success with the Padgett fix. Clear all the other codes and check them after you have driven the car for awhile to see what comes back.

Now, those brakes. Do the Brake test (See Wally's sig) and report back to us. Don't spend any money on brake parts until you get our analysis of the results. The dealerships will tell you to spend 1200 on a new brake assembly. It is most likely a bad accumulator as others have said.

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced the Cam Sensor. The SES light was still on. In addition now to the E041 code, the E039 code is also active.

I guess the cam sensor magnet is next in line to be replaced. What is with the E039 now?

The following codes are in history:

E039

E041

B122

B123

B446

B671

B553

PS How do I clear codes to see what comes up after clearing?

Thanks