100000 miles

Guest dwr

My 89 turned 171,000 miles last week and with the exception of a few problems it still drives GREAT better then my 90 with only 56,000 miles.

I just hope I can make it last a while longer, after all every thing (even us) gives out after awhile, and we will all end up in the big old junk yard in the sky.

My '89 coupe turned over 100K during a trip from Oklahoma City to Amarillo a couple of years ago. I had a camera with me and took the attached picture. It occurred on I-40 at the Erick, OK exit. I thought that was an appropriate place to reach 100K, since Erick is the birthplace of country singer Roger Miller. I whistled "King of the Road" all the way to the Texas state line.

post-30882-14313791838_thumb.jpg

Guest F14CRAZY

My coupe lost its will to live a few times, and I think it has a will that says not to revive it, but I keep bringing it back.

What other car blows a tranny, a hood strut, a hood hinge, the alternator, and the courtesy light system within a few days?

wow. i didnt know it was that bad. my alternator blew, but i didnt buy a new one. got one off some car with 64,000miles at the junk yard. exactly the same, except mine was mmuch cleaner than the replacement, and it worked.

I too watched as my car turned over to the magic 100,000. Almost 2.5 years after I bought it. It turned over just as I passed the City Limits sign of Jasper, Texas in February 2001. I'm not sure if it will make it to the ultra magic 200,000. It's got 47000 to go!

• 2 weeks later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My '89 coupe turned over 100K during a trip from Oklahoma City to Amarillo a couple of years ago. I had a camera with me and took the attached picture. It occurred on I-40 at the Erick, OK exit. I thought that was an appropriate place to reach 100K, since Erick is the birthplace of country singer Roger Miller. I whistled "King of the Road" all the way to the Texas state line. </div></div>

hey i know this is off topic but i couldnt help but notice on ur picture above the "unleaded fuel only" it has a "diesel fuel only" icon... why would it have that, and why would it have both?

have read before that that and "leveling" were for future development that never occurred.

I notice in your post that you're from Thomasville. I cover the U.S. in sales, and everytime I pass through your town I call the office and say 'Thomas Thomas reporting in From Thomasville"

Thomas Thomas

Guest F14CRAZY

Ah yes. '88-89s had the "DIESEL FUEL ONLY" thing. It never actually lights up even when pressing the test button, but we've discussed it previously and at some point when the IPC was made (remember the Rivi had it from '86), GM was considering having like the 4.3L diesel as an option. It was good they didn't, however, I've though about it and you potentially could swap one in if you could tolerate the slowness and general unreliability of early GM diesels

More than that. GM tried to adapt the Olds 350 gas engine to diesel after the second fuel crisis instead of being designed as a diesel from the ground up and junkyards were soon littered with failed cranks and junk blocks.

From one standpoint it was fortunate they used the Olds as a basis since it was easy to retrofit a diesel with the gas version but the effect was to poison the American public against diesels in passenger cars. Today sporting diesels are common in Europe but here, only fanatics buy them.

Personally, I have mixed emotions. There is no question in my mind that a turbo diesel is more efficient than the equivalent gas engine. OTOH, in comparison to a diesel, a gas engine is a marvel of simplicity and the bar none filthiest engine I ever worked on was a 240D Mercedes.

But in 1983-84 when the dash was designed, GM still expected to be 50% or better diesel in a few years. I also suspect that the selection of the TEVES braking system (lesser cars were being fitted with the PowerMaster, also with an electric pump) was because diesels operate at full throttle all of the time - they have no vaccuum.

Estaver: The dash dimming issued as been covered many times on the pages of this forum. I'm almost certain your problem is the headlamp switch. With contact cleaner (beware some will destroy the plastic) spray the cleaner in the spaces around the buttons while pressing them off and on. I did this in 1998 to my car and the lights have worked correctly ever since.