joining BCA

Guest n1gzd

The "sponsor" name is to allow those that go out and recruit new BCA members to receive some credit for their work. There can be some recognition at each year's BCA National Meet, if I recall correctly.

I wonder how many new BCA members might have joined due to the activity on this forum? Would "BCA FORUM" be a suitable "sponsor"???

Happy Holidays!

NTX5467

yeah, this forum can claim credit for me. I will definately join. I really appreciate the help that I have received from the forum so far. I have also found a local chapter to join too (Minuteman in Massachusetts).

Rebecca

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder how many new BCA members might have joined due to the activity on this forum? Would "BCA FORUM" be a suitable "sponsor"???

</div></div>

I'm not sure it was the forums that brought me into the fold, but I was a member here long before joining the BCA...after I bought $Pit (the $ is pronounced like sh or sch), I was in touch with the Technical Advisor for the 1st generation baby Buicks and he convinced me to join and to attend the Centennial (or at least planted the bug on my screen as it were).

Welcome to the fold Rebecca.

On another note, I wonder if having the sponsor on the application prevents anyone from joining? That would be a shame, but we've seen that sort of confusion with our local club.

I think that it does cause some confusion. I am a member of a club called the North Short Old Car Club. You need two "sponsors" who are members to sign your membership form to recommend you. This is why I was confused.

Rebecca

The sponsor is for incentive for BCA mambers to get credit bringing a new member to the club. I can see where it would be confusing, but having a sponsor is not necessary.

There is an award for the member that gets the most new members to join named after the Gertsekemper's who where the first membership chairperson's of the BCA. Hope that helps.

Some car clubs DO require new members to be sponsored by an existing member. In the "best" aspect, the sponsor is sort of a mentor to the new prospective member on the ways of the club and such, but it can also be a tool to restrict who is able to join (in some situations).

Then there are other car clubs that like to know who brought the new member into the club. I concur, in some cases the "Sponsored By" title might be changed to "Referred By" for a more accurate take on things in the BCA and other entities.

It's great that you have also found a local chapter to be a part of. Minuteman has some great people in it.

Happy Holidays!

NTX5467