Garages....

Guest imported_Thriller

Guest imported_Thriller

Well, my new garage is almost complete...it is 22' by 30', which will allow me to get a third vehicle in across the front, so next spring I'll be hauling in a car from storage to start working on it.

Here it is today after washing the Wildcat in it...

20060924washed_Cat1.jpg

I washed the car since I had Rust Check sprayed on last week, so I wanted to wash it down...I also thought it may be the last washing before winter sets in...when I got back home, Suzanne had washed the Rainier and was washing my truck, so the alley was wet...while I was preparing to park it, some jerk had to zip by and splash the Wildcat...sigh.

Anyway, I went out today with my youngest to a garage hop put together by a couple guys with the local club. A couple photos (all with Buicks) from the first stop. First, a '41 Limited.

20060924_41Limited3.jpg

Here's a bit of the group, including the Wildcat and Ewing's Riv.

20060924_garagehop4.jpg

After that, we went to a garage that Dennis Gage referred to as the "Garage Mahal" a while back...the photos I took didn't come out, but there were a number of Jaguars and motorcycles - very nice and very good of the owner to open up his place to us.

I was hoping to show the garage at a later date when it is more complete, but it looks like we may not put siding on until next spring and I wanted to show it off a bit before then.

Now if I can only find that piece of land out of town so I can build a real shop....

love that garage, it'll be great to get another one of your cars 'home' to work on it.

I always like to see pictures of the Riv, ( and the Wildcat, of course!). btw, the tow ball on the Riv is a factory option, it is on and off, as I need it to move the Caballero at this time of year...

Here are some of the pictures I took today. And, that garage Mahal was just excellent. I can picture it with about 8 Buicks wedged into it.

sep2402kk9.jpg

sep2401dd3.jpg

4 vintage Jags

sep2408vn1.jpg

several Nortons, Indians and other vintage motorcycles, all in his basement.

sep2414sr0.jpg

[/image]

Have you figured out what you're going to do for the interior walls yet?

My shop has 12 foot ceilings. I insulated the walls (it's still a work in progress: I have three walls done), and then from the ceiling down 8 feet, I installed 4x8 sheets of white faced pegboard. Screwed it to the studs with 2-inch deck screwd. The head of the screw is just a tiny bit larger than the hole in the pegboard, so it countersings itself nicely, and doesn't require drilling holes or covering the fastener, since it basically disappears in the board.

Peg board is more expensive than drywall, but when you figure in the cost of the drywall, mud, tape, sandpaper and a couple coats of paint, I don't think it's that much more expensive. And the results are instant: put it up, and your walls are nice and white and ready to go.

For the 4 feet between the floor and the bottom of the peg board, I'm going to get bright finish corrugated steel siding. It's fairly innexpensive (When I priced it a few months ago, it was $150 to four walls in my 32x40 shop), should reflect light very well, and more importantly, it won't let things break through like drywall will. (floor jack handles, tires rolling into it, or anything else that seems to bang into a shop wall).

Just thought I'd throw it out there.

-Brad

Guest imported_Thriller

Great idea Brad...I have some pegboard on a workbench in the basement and like having it around. I'm not planning on insulating it immediately (hence I won't be brining in an another car until spring). The door is 18' by 7' insulated, which is a standard size, but not all that common. I would have liked to go with taller walls so I could someday get one of those portable lifts, but that would have required another zoning variance (already had to get one to build this large) which would have delayed another 2 weeks.

The concrete work, including demolition of the old one, was about $20k, which includes making most of the back yard concrete, so roughly a 40' by 40' area. Total bill so far is $32k and counting...it should wind up somewhere between 35 and 40. That's a bit more than we had hoped, but the old garage was pretty decrepit and needed to be replaced. We could have avoided some costs (i.e. the plywood all around, smaller door, etc.), but this way everything should be nicer. I have good power out there, but not 220...realistically, that was a want, but not a need.

Today, the door is to be installed and hopefully the shingles as well. Then I could bring $Pit home. I guess we'll see.

Keep in mind these are canadian dollars, we like to refer to them as dollarettes. Although they are worth about 0.90 US now. Better than 0.63 US they were worth not much more than a year ago.

I did one wall in used corrigated tin roofing. It was cheap and added a used/heavy duty look to the wall. Used the 1/4 thick pegboard in several places but did not trust the screws in the existing holes, I was afraid that "things" hung on the pegboard would be too heavy for the screws through the existing holes to hold.

Derek,

Just over three years ago, we moved from a three acre place with a car barn. I don't miss the barn anymore. It had no heat, only a 15 amp electrical connection good only for lights, and I had to walk in the rain to and from the garage where all the tools were kept.

It took two years of searching to find a house in a neighborhood that my wife liked and one that also had enough room to add on a 26' X 34' shop with parking for five cars (four on the floor and one on a lift). I had a contractor build a pole building shell, and my son and I installed a two loop radiant floor heating system just before they poured the floor. The contractor's portion cost about $20K. I had the contractor use double roof trusses that span front to back to make a 20' peak midway to provide room for a lift. I also specified the pair of trusses next to the house with 2"X10" bottom joists to allow me to add 8' of loft storage with 10" I joists between the house and the trusses. We used recycled deck lumber for the loft floor to make it strong enough to store my spare engines & transmissions. I also installed a 1 ton jib hoist to lift heavy stuff into the loft.

I have not finished insulating yet, but my plan is to keep the work area warm enough to work through the winter, while keeping the car storage area just warm enough to keep the cars happy. I also plan to install a bubble wrap curtain to keep the heat in the work bay. The bubble wrap is relatively cheap, and it will pass light & should hold in the radiant heat like a greenhouse.

I like the idea of using white peg board to finish the insulated walls, but I will loose the nice 2"X6" shelves the pole building construction provides when I close it in. I will post finished photos when I get the shop cleaned up a bit. I do have some progress photos if you want to see them.

Mark Shaw