Gas Mileage

My '88 seems to get 18-19 which seems a tad low but only two tanks so far. <P>Would be more concerned about the low brake pressure - try the six tests at <A HREF="http://www.reatta.net/brakes/brakes_troubleshooting.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.reatta.net/brakes/brakes_troubleshooting.html</A> - no tools required & simple.

Get your brakes checked immediately.. the low brake pressure warning could very well be a sign that you need to replace the system's master cylinder/valve block/accumulator unit (the low pressure warning was the first indication of a dangerous brake problem on my car). My gas mileage in NYC traffic is like 16 MPG, but on the open road I get between 25- 28 MPG.

Gas mileage should be low 20's around town and high 20's on freeway. Sometimes mileage is over 30.<P>I would check out the brake system before you check your gas mileage. If the brakes go out, you won't need to be concerned with gas mileage.<P>I assume you have a 1988-1990 Reatta. Do a search on brakes. There is lots of information on brakes available. Brakes are the number one, number two, and number three problems with these cars. shocked.gif" border="0

Check your oxygen sensor. If it has failed it can cause a rich burn situation greatly reducing mileage. But do your brakes first!<P>The sensor is about $25

The end of May I traveled to Charlotte, N.C. and back to Elmira, N.Y. with my 90 and averaged 30 mpg for 1600 miles.<P>How difficult is it to change the oxygen sensor? A neighbor just had hers changed on a Toyota Corolla by the dealer for $225! rolleyes.gif" border="0

It must depend on the car - I bought the sensor for $25.00 (auto parts store not dealer) and installed it in about 15 minutes. It is near the firewall on the exhaust. Looks like a little spark plug. It is a very tight reach but it is easy. Jap cars probably hide it good to confuse us.

I agree with one of the other posts. I've had my 89 for almost 3 years and in town it gets around 20-21 MPG. Highway only 23-25. A mixture of the two around 22. As for the brakes. If the low pressure warning is coming on, do no drive the car!!!!!! Mine is "parked" right now because of the same problem. Without brake pressure, you and other drivers are in danger. Stopping distances are much much greater with loss of pressure. You need to get this checked out ASAP. Take the "brake test" others have mentioned. Howard

• 5 months later...
Guest wally888

This is an apology to 91 owners.<BR> I owned a 91 several years ago. Bad mouthed it here. It got much less mileage than my 89 ( sometimes I could get 30 mpg w/ the 89, on the highway) Guess the 91 had a problem as my current 91 got 26 mpg on a recent interstate trip and I drove 80-85 a lot.

I get about 19-20mpg city/combo driving, and about 24-25 highway. Tires, air filter, and spark plugs are worth about 3 mpg if worn out(or improperly inflated). As for the O2 sensor, the aftermarket Bosch sensor is reccomended for replacement at 30,000 miles(by Bosch themselves) and the factory ac delco one was warrantied for 36,000(new car warranty), frequently lasting 100,000+ . Hmmmm, which one would you use? Also, that toyota one was probably heated($$$) and required diagnositics($$$). Also jap car part($$$).