For sale: LZ carburetor

Guest kevinshea

Guest kevinshea

A complete LZ carb, a 97 with LZ stamped in correct location. Looks great. I think it is rebuilt, but don't assume it is. Doesn't look used too much. Pictures available. $225.

post-39395-143137897132_thumb.jpg

Actually Kevin, it is a Sromberg carb that was used on Lincoln V-12's from '36 to sometime in '38 I believe, Ford switched then to the Holley 91-99 Ford carburetor, and then in 1940 the Holley became the 06H, that was used until 1948. There were 4 common Stromberg carburetors of different sizes used on Ford products up to 1939, the model 81, used on the pre '40 V-8 60's, the '97, used on all the pre '39 221 CI Ford flatheads in cars, the LZ carb like yours, and the 48, a somewhat larger version, used on some of the larger Ford flathead trucks, these carbs were, and still are popular with hot-rodders building multi carb set-ups, because they all look exactly the same from the outside, but vary greatly on the venturi etc, dimensions. Rebuild kits are readily available at the obsolete Ford parts suppliers, good luck on selling yours, R

• 1 month later...

I now have a nice supply of reconditioned 06H Holley carburetors, I have 2 script 3 hole base models, correct for '40 and '41, used on zephyrs and continentals both, but also used as replacements on '38 and '39 Z's which had a hybrid 91-99 Ford-Mercury carb, I also have 2 non script 4 hole base carbs, correct for '46-'48, there is also a reconditioned fuel pump with a big H written on it, in very nice shape, write for more details to rolf@got.net Thanks a lot,

• 11 years later...
On 7/29/2006 at 10:19 AM, Rolf said:

I now have a nice supply of reconditioned 06H Holley carburetors, I have 2 script 3 hole base models, correct for '40 and '41, used on zephyrs and continentals both, but also used as replacements on '38 and '39 Z's which had a hybrid 91-99 Ford-Mercury carb, I also have 2 non script 4 hole base carbs, correct for '46-'48, there is also a reconditioned fuel pump with a big H written on it, in very nice shape, write for more details to rolf@got.net Thanks a lot,

I am looking for a reconditioned 06H 4 hole Manual choke carburetor. Can you help me?

Check with Chris Herrill   "Boos Herrill Lincoln parts, and you wil be thrilled!!        This post is

from Rolf Burdette, who is no longer with us,  Great fellow who told me tales of road trips in 12 cylinder Lincolns, pedal mashed to the 

floor headin west--:D

Lz carb has different lower base configuration than Ford v-8, but bases are interchangeable..Lz's   Also available on ebay, carb rebuild

kit is sold at worldwide napa stores...(you almost always will need a fresh gasket  / float kit with any used carb,may have rebuilt ages ago)

--ask questions here, many folks here will help--pics are similar from net, but 3 bolt--4 bolt looks same without teardrop marking

3 bolt prewar lz chandler carbs.jpg

Thanks, Tom. I've been searching for the right power valve. They either surge too early or too late. Originally I thought a stronger spring meant they would open slower, but now I believe they are "normally open" and are held closed by vacuum working against the spring tension. So the weaker the spring the leaner the mixture. Do I have that righht?

DSpringer, a weaker spring will allow the power valve to stay closed longer. I like the 5.5 power valve. It is held closed until the vacuum drops to around 6 inches.

The main cause of the 91-99 carburetor running rich is leaking past the power valve gasket. This can also cause surging and hard starting. Another common cause is a poor seal at the bowl to base. Over tightening distorts the sealing surface and then it leaks vacuum. Glue some sandpaper to a piece of glass and slide the bowl without the power valve installed, the 3 attachment points should show the same scratch pattern. Charlie Schwendler in NY can machine the bowl for a good seal.

The way that I install the power valve is to use the gasket with the triangle cutout ( as shown in Mssr. Bwatoe post) and hand tighten it, then tighten an additional 1/6 turn. Then add gas to the bowl until it covers the plunger on the power valve(easy way to see if gas leaks) and let it sit for 12 hours or more. If there is less gas in the bowl after sitting, I tighten another 1/6 turn and repeat the test. Repeat the procedure until the gas does not leak past he gasket. This procedure makes sure the gasket is tight enough and not so tight that the gasket cannot seal.

Edited by 19tom40
add info (see edit history)

I am sorry but I do not have the specifications for the LZ economizer valve referenced in 6the Service letter. The 78-9904 valve opened around 8.5-9 inches of vacuum. That was supposed to occur at a steady speed of 3800 RPM or sooner under load. The Ford spec for the 59A carburetor is for the valve to open at 6.5 -7 inches of vacuum. The 5.5 power valve opens around 5.5 - 6 inches of vacuum. The current fuel with 10% Ethanol seems to work better with the 5.5 valve than with the 6.5 valve.

Also, I have found that the 10% Ethanol fuel requires the float level to be set 1/32" to 1/16" lower than specifications. The Zephyr setting is already  1/16" lower than the Ford setting, so it may be OK. The top gasket seems to be just about the correct thickness under the gauge. Check it by looking down the throat of the carburetor, while the engine is idling. There should be no fuel coming out of the main jets. If there is, either the power valve gasket is leaking or the float level needs to be lowered.

I machined a Go / No Go gauge as shown in the attachment out of 1/2" wide aluminum stock and use it for setting the float. The 1/2" wide piece insures that my unsteady hands can hold the gauge perpendicular to the carburetor air horn and float. If you make your own gauge for the LZ, you could add .0625  to both dimensions on the gauge, so GO would be  1.4175" and NO GO wold be 1.3845

All of these adjustments work best when the idle speed is set to specs. On the V-8 cars, I hook my tach to the condenser tab on the coil. I am not sure where you would get an accurate reading on the dual coil used on the LZ. You can set this speed by using a 3/32" wide pieces of shim stock, .006 as the GO and .010 as the NO GO. Measure between the throttle plates and the body of the base where the plates close off the opening. adjust the idle speed screw to get this setting. The Fords seem to idle better at .010".

I hope that this helps you out. If the setting that I use do not solve your problems, experiment by making small changes in them.

float setting.jpg

Thank you for the compliment. Your posts are also a joy to read. I enjoy the photos that you post.

I enjoy seeing these cars go down the road and hate to see them on trailers. I was very disappointed at Lincoln meets that I have attended to see so many trailers, but with traffic the way it is these days, I may soon have to stop driving my cars. When that happens, they will be for sale, because I refuse to buy a trailer.

There were some nice driving tours at the last 2 Homecomings and the Golden Anniversary of the LZ Club's Homecoming has  a nice driving tour from Auburn, IN to Hickory Corners. I hope that you can enjoy the Tour with your car.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.