showoff your rod at Horace Heidt event

Jank, I agree with you, It's frusrating when a street rod tells me that I have a nice car but it would really be nice with a chopped top and a big block chevy in it. I guess it is a different type of car hoby. We original guys stress authentic restoration even down to the nuts and bolts. The modified guys are are at the other end of that thinking. They want nothing original in there cars because they want the car to be customized to there own standards, not the original manufactures standards the vehicle was built by. I personally enjoy both types of cars but they don't mix well on the same show field basically for the reasons I just stated. It's just my opinion but they really are two different type hobbies that happen to have cars in common.

Yes, they are two separate hobby but when I get mad is when the two sometimes crossover in the area of taxes and licence plates. The antique hobbist here in NC has fought hard for the few concessions that we have won from the state. I absolutely hate to see a rod with nothing original left but a once beautiful brass radiator running antique plates, which in NC under certain conditions provide some tax relief. <P>Come to think of it, I haven't seen one in awhile. Was the law changed or are they just in hibernation only to resurface in the spring. Hmn....<P>24T42

I dunno, I get a little annoyed whenever someone tells me to put an American engine in my Jaguar, and I'm getting tired of being told to paint my Charger orange, but I don't get worked up over it. Ultimately, so what? It's not <I>their</I> car.<P>The lump guy, you never know, once he gets to know Jags better he might see it differently. If I just blow him off then what have I accomplished?<P>Cheers,<BR>Bry

Bry,<P> I think you needed some sleep when you wrote your last post. I don't see your point, maybe I'm a little thick. Could you expound on your remarks for me? I'm not sure to whom you were responding.

Maybe so, maybe so. smile.gif<P>I was responding to JanK and JAW who expressed irritation when people try to imagine their restorations as street rods.<P>My point, I guess, is that these people are at least trying to engage you and find some common ground. Just like the guy who suggests lumping my Jag. He doesn't realize it's insulting to me. He is trying to connect. So I can either:<P>a) tell him he's an idiot and blow him off, helping the stereotype that Jag owners are stuffy and reducing the chances of him ever taking any interest in my part of the car hobby.<P>B) accept that at least we've connected on the Jaguars-are-cool part, and discuss the pros and cons of lumping in a rational manner in the hope that he can see the benefit to keeping the V12, and maybe someday he'll join my part of the car hobby.<P>I do B) all the time and find that a lot of people simply have misconceptions; they show a lot of interest in the Jag hardware when they learn a little about it.<P>Maybe there is a parallel for some of you guys. I mean, 10 years active in the car hobby and I never met a restoration person until about a year ago, and haven't really seen one since. Of <I>course</I> none of the rodders are taking an interest -- you don't exist.<P>I've never really seen much hostility from rodders directed at restorers, other than the lighthearted jokes. We just don't know much about you since the only time we see you is in parades. You never show up where we are.<P>Cheers,<BR>Bry

Guest c.johnson

I can see being proud of your accomplishment, whether it is a street rod, or restored near origional. But I think that is where the similarity stops. (I agree most hot rods now days come ready made in boxes.)<P>The hot rodder has no idea that my car will be researched, de-rusted, de-dinged, primed, painted, completly rebuilt piece by piece. It is that same type of ignorance when you see a master violinist and think "Wow, he makes that look easy", that makes a hot rodder look at a restored car and say "That would be really great if only..."<P>cj

Shows that invite both original and modified cars need to practice parity. For example, we've stopped going to a few very popular local shows because all of the rods were put out front and center, and those of us with original cars were stuffed in the back, almost as an afterthought. (At one show, we were asked to move to another spot, because we were blocking the view of a newly built rod.) <P>If the rod clubs are the show sponsor, they have the right to set up the cars as they see fit, and I would understand (and probably not attend). But, in these cases, the shows were sponsored by dealerships. What's even more amusing is to hear these same dealers complain that fewer and fewer of the older, original cars attend their events any more. Of course, they don't believe us when we tell them the truth.<P>Jan K.

Bry, thanks for the clarification. I usually think to myself that the person is an idiot, since that's the best opening line they can come up with. I'll be polite and answer their questions. Some you eventually win over, but the ones that keep persisting, I excuse myself and move on. <P>Don't get me wrong, I respect most peoples vehicles, they just may not fit my tastes. Personally, I'm tired of hearing Model A's are the best thing since sliced bread. But, a lot of people like them and that's their choice. Look at what the kids are doing today to the rice rockets; putting weird mufflers on, super low profile tires, blacking out the windows, putting stereo equipment decals on the top third of the windshields, etc. It's the style now, not mine, but they like it.<P><BR>Well, Is anybody going to the event from the original post?? Sounds like it would br fun!!! wink.gifwink.gif

I have really enjoyed your little thread here! I come to the discussion with a twist. I used to visit this site regulary but after having my butt chewed over my helping a poster with a rodding question, I left. <BR>But not after apologizing, you see I respect what you guys at the AACA do. I respect your agenda. And I respect your passion. What I don't respect is your name calling and tearing up of this poster when you can see she obviously doesn't know much about cars or the the hobby. <P>Now, I have found myself in the same boat, you see I am a Buick fan, any Buick as long as it is ALL Buick. Rodded, Customized, or Stock. And when some one comes to a Buick web site and inquires about how to swap in a Chevy Small block into his '64 Riviera I just about blow a head gasket mad.gif. I have how ever asked a few questons, just to see what is in their head. I just don't get how someone can swap the Chevy in and then still go to a Buick site waving the Buick flag, like they are a fan, I just don't get that. confused.gif <P>But I have found that you get more flies with honey than sugar. I have "converted" more than my fair share of swappers with Honey so all of you should try it, you never know who might listen. <P>To solve a little argument that has been going in this thread.....We NEED each other, both rodders and restorers should be DANG thankful the other exists. Without the COLLECTIVE old car community there wouldn't be either one! Do you think there would be all the repro parts if only for you? Or do you think you would have the used parts for your restoration or rare option if not for the rodder? Or if the rodder dosen't think that he would have the same thing if not for you, he's dreaming. If there were "airplane rodders and restorers" we would have a lot more P-38s in the air, but there were NONE so there are no planes. <P>Another point I want to make!....<BR>You have NO idea how that rod ended up the way it is today! Do you think he guy bought a restored Hersey 100 pointer and chopped it up? Sadly there are a few jerks that have done that, but MOST of these cars were either rodded a number of years ago, when they were common place or they were rodded out of a car that all the restorers in town passed up. <P>My Brother has a 1922 Buick roadster street rod (yes it is ALL Buick)If most of you would saw it you would want to choke him, but were any restorers there to buy that rusty cowl, door skins, and rear body SKIN sheet metal he bought to make the car? How about when we sold one of these bodies (or should I say the skins that make up one of these bodies) on ebay? I posted in a number of sites about this body, including here I think. Who bought it for a lousy $350.00? A rodder did, and it will be ALL Buick I am happy to say! How about my '56 Chevy end table I have in my living room? When I have displayed it, you would have thought I took a restored convertible and cut the back off! I didn't see any restorer down at the wrecking yard laying their body down in front of that four door sedan I got the panel from. It was the ONLY usable part on the car by the way. How about my chopped and sectioned '48 Chevy pickup? I started it back in 1974 when it was WORTHLESS, would you look at me like I was an animal if you saw me in it? <P>Not all rodders are out to "ruin" YOUR car. I woundn't even think about rodding a nice or rare car. In fact, My wife drives a "near" stone stock, Yes It has HEI and hot air exchange so it is more driveable. That brother who has the Buick Rod, his wife drives every day a RESTORED '65 Mustang fastback and her Sunday car is a RESTORED '57 T-Bird. We have FLAWLESSLY RESTORED his last 1946 Harley 45 and his RESTORED 1965 Buick Gran Sport has been shown and is still winning shows with the current owner. <BR>We both have RESTORED many Schwinn Bikes and furniture, toys and so on. In fact I wouldn't think of doing a single modification to my 1947 2 bed room 1 bath home that would take away the "original charm". <P>Two things I have learned while dealing with the public in my work.....<BR>One is, the public is all a bunch of A** holes! <BR>Two is, I am one of the public!<P>When you walk into a store, group, hobby, that you know nothing about, you too am that A** hole. <P>By the way, one of the most interesting "restorations" is to restore a Hot rod, custom or race car built years ago. To "restore" it back to the way some enterprising rodder had built it, that is a challenge. <P>And another thing.. A poorly restored car is just as bad as a "cut up rod" to me. I mean what good was that? smile.gif <P>Just keep restoring those old cars and enjoying it! You will never make everyone happy so what happens in your garage and in your car on the road is ultimately all that matters. <BR><P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.<BR>"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"

MARTINSR ~ There are airplane rodders. They rod them and then race at Reno. Mostly Mustangs and Bearcats with an occasional Sea Fury. I guess P-38s just don't make good race planes. smile.gifsmile.gif hvs<P>I recall that many years ago the buzzword was tolerence. I absorbed that quite well. I tolerate rods and rodders, but there is no requirement that I like what they do or how they do it. I just tolerate it.<P>Frankly, "Can't we all just get along" is, in my very humble opinion, for those without strong convictions.<P>But that's my opinion. Feel free to consider me wrong. smile.gif ~ hvs<P>Tod ~ I wonder if tamara ever came back to see what she hath wrought. I'm betting hers was just a post and run. smile.gif

WOW!! THIS THREAD HAS SURE ENTERTAINED ME THIS AFTERNOON! THANK GOD IT IS A FREE COUNTRY OTHERWISE NO ONE WOULD HAVE A DIFFERENT OPINION!<P>THERE ARE IDIOT RODDERS AND IDIOT ANTIQUE FOLKS. THERE ARE SOME THAT ONLY APPRECIATE CLASSICS, BRASS-ERA. LOW-RIDERS, CUSTOMS ETC. HOWEVER, THERE ARE SOME THAT LOVE JUST ABOUT ANYTHING ON FOUR (OR MORE) WHEELS. COUNT ME IN THAT CATEGORY! I WAS AT PEBBLE IN '97 WHEN THEY SHOWED RESTORED '50'S HOT RODS THAT I REMEMBER FROM MY TEEN AGE YEARS AND MY COLLECTION OF HOT ROD MAGAZINES. WHAT A THRILL TO SEE THESE.<P>HOWARD, I THINK YOU KNOW THAT MY LOVE IS THE BRASS-ERA BUT I DID GROW UP IN HOT RODDING. TODAYS HOT RODS ARE ENGINEERING MASTERPIECES AND IF YOU PAY ATTENTION TO THE PRICES THEY ARE BRINGING THEY CERTAINLY CAN BE A GOOD INVESTMENT. IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THE THRILL OF OWNING A ROD IS THE SAME AS AN ANTIQUE...FUN TO RESTORE/BUILD...MORE FUN TO DRIVE!<P>SINCE I SOON WILL ENTER THE "OLD GEEZER" STAGE (MY DAUGHTER MAY THINK I ALREADY AM) I HOPE CAN CONTINUE TO APPRECIATE ALL THE IRON. I ALSO AGREE WITH OTHERS THAT THE ORIGINAL POSTER OF THIS THREAD PROBABLY DOES NOT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A LEAD SLED AND A CLASSIC! NOT TO HARD TO FIGURE OUT AS I REALLY DO NOT THINK THAT RODDERS GENERALLY LISTEN TO THE BIG BAND ERA!<P>WHILE I ALMOST ALWAYS AGREE WITH OUR ESTEEMED MR. SCOTLAND I DO THINK WE SHOULD CELEBRATE OUR DIFFERENCES BUT FIND COMMON GROUND TO GET ALONG. IF EVERYONE WOULD JUST EAT ONE LITTLE KRISPY KREME MAYBE THIS WOULD BE A DIFFERENT WORLD..OOPS, WRONG TOPIC. ANY WAY, SINCE NO ONE WHO REALLY KNOWS ME THINKS I AM ANYTHING LIKE "GHANDI" MAYBE I HAD BETTER NO BLOW MY COVER. THANKS YOU ALL, FOR AN INTERESTING BREAK FROM MY WORK TODAY!<P> <p>[This message has been edited by oldscarnut (edited 04-17-2001).]