1936 buick series 61 century running board mats

tomwallace

I just bought a 1936 buick series 61 century sedan. The running board mats are in bad shape and need to be replaced.

No one that I can find sells them (Bob's Automobilia or Steelerubber.com).

Can anyone give me a lead to someone who could fabricate the proper mats for my car.

All help appreiated.

Tom Wallace

Dayton, Ohio

Guest imported_daydreamer

try calling 1 403 3335 9590 this is a canada # he custom makes running board mats . paul

Were the Special and Century bodies the same in 1936 like they were in 1941? The only significant differences in '41 were all in ahead of the firewall. Perhaps it was the same in 1936? I'm not certain, but it might be worth looking into.

Hope this helps.

• 9 months later...
Guest imported_Thriller

Hey Jon...I was just about to post the same thing as well...didn't realize until now you are in Olds...my brother used to be in Three Hills.

Guest Ron3660

Tom,

I live about an hour from you and I made running board mats for my 36/60. If you want to come over and look at mine I'll tell you how to do it. They may not be original but they look GREAT. Most people can't tell they are shade tree specials.

Ron

near Delaware, Oh

ps. it'll cost under $50 in materials

Guest Ron3660

I don't know about freshening up. I recovered mine. The rubber was in pieces and pealing. I removed the running boards. Sand blasted and recovered. It's too involved to describe here but if you're interested I can show you.

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding your question about the running board rubber ................ Hunley Acuff, in Georgia, does an AMAZING job of revulcanizing rubber back onto the original boards. He's been doing that for at least 17 years that I know of. He did the boards on my 1937 Special and they look factory new. He's not cheap, though. I think I paid something like $500 back in 1991 so expect it to be a fair amount higher than that now but if you want top quality work Hunley is the man. I'm assuming he does 1936 Buick boards. I know he does 1937 and 1938. The phone number I have for him is from 1991 so there's a good chance the area code will be different. The old number is (404) 866-4875.