New Reatta Owner

VetteGal

Hello All,

Just bought a 1990 Reatta, and will need some things for it. First are there any part suppliers for these cars? Car is in good shape, will need some work but I do know how to work on my own cars, just cannot do everything due to either lack of the correct tool or no lift. I'm sure I will drive everyone crazy with my questions.

Thanks

Nikki

1990 Reatta White/Red

1973 Triumph GT6

Guest F14CRAZY

You'll get lecured later grin.gif

Jim Finn is a very good supplier of Reatta parts. He'll post soon (I can't remember his email address). Have bought from him a few times. His parts are good and prices are affordable.

WELCOME !!!!!!! and Congrats Nikki.

We / I appreciate female participants immensely smile.gif.

Seriously, you will enjoy your time spent on the forum (incidently, the best of the best), make good friends, and gain much knowledge.

Nic

Hi Nikki, Welcome to the World of Reatta's.

You will find that there is a wealth of information here

about you new car. I hope you will find everything that you need.

If you go to www.reatta.com and register you will be able to see

and download the entire Shop manual along with some very valuable

information about the repair and maintenance of you reatta.

As stated else where, Jim Finn in Duluth,MN can supply you with

almost any used part. jfinn@cpinternet.com

If you need outside work done there is a dealer in Schaumburg

that has a mechanic that really knows Reatta's. He is at "Ed

Murphy Buick" on Golf rd. (being a dealer they are not cheap,

But they do know what they are doing)

Also feel free to ask as many questions as you like here.

Most of the people are very knowledgeable about these cars.

Guest Reatta1

Welcome to the forum and Reatta ownership. In my estimation the best, most comfortable road car around. As mentioned by the others, you will find this site and the folks on it to be a resource beyond compare.

Curious about your moniker, 'VetteGal'. Have anything to do with the car?

Welcome to Reatta land and to the forum. As 63viking suggested, check out the "reatta.net" site. There is a wealth of information there, as well as on the forum. While at reatta.net, pls take the time to register your VIN etc with Barney Eaton. He is the keeper of the numbers. Don't hesitate to ask about any problems.

Guest EDBS0

VetteGal;

Welcome to the Reatta Forum and congratulations on your recent purchase of a Reatta.

Don't worry about driving us regulars crazy, most of us are there already, completely crackers. Something about Reatta ownership fanaticism that exasperates us all.

Some parts are available at the dealer, Others are available from parts cars. There are some excellent dedicated used part suppliers her. Jim Finn is perhaps the best, as long as he isn't off Reatta hunting. You'll understand as you follow the forum. Finally there is Barney Eaton who manufactures his own replacement parts and makes them available to us at ridiculously reasonable prices. Just post what you want here and someone will have it and detailed instructions on how to install them.

It will be interesting to see whether your Lucas electrical parts are easer to maintain than the Reatta's.

There aren't very many original problems. Most of them can be found along with the solution in the archives using the search function. I'll let someone else talk about the preventative maintenance, especially the brakes.

Good luck, we look forward to hearing more from you and perhaps to meeting you and your Reatta at a Reatta function.

EDBSO

Nikki:

There was a white Reatta convertible listed in the Tribune for several weeks. Is that the one that you got?

I also note that you say that you have Triumph GT-6. Were or are you a member of ISOA. My Reatta is a replacement for my TR-6 that caught fire.

Tom T. in DeKalb

Welcome. You will find the advise here the best that can be had. Nice folks who want to help. As stated, Jim Finn is "the man" when it comes to used parts. Fair and honest. One suggestion I would make is to purchase a shop manual. They are worth their weight in gold. Since you do some on the your own work, I think you would find the manual very helpful. Again, welcome. I know you will enjoy your Reatta as much as most of us here do.

Tom,

I actually had seen the car on eBay and contacted the owner asking to see the car in person before bidding on it. We set up a time to meet and I made an offer and he took it. Yes I am a member of ISOA, another great group of people to offer help whenever it is needed. I definately have the terminal disease known as Caritis, in which the patient has the uncontrolable urge to buy LOTS & LOTS of cars. There is a surgery that can be performed known as a carectomy, but that is usually a VERY temporary fix as the urge come back only stronger and usually more than one car is purchased. Single patients have it worse than married patients as the spouse can often use guilt to help curb it. Now that I have shown my warped sense of humor, I hope some of you can share you stories.

Nikki

1990 Coupe

1973 Triumph GT6

Guest wally888

Nikki,

Your addiction is shared by many here! I'm not really a Reatta fan but have owned 6, have a 91 coupe and a 90 ragtop at present, looking for a 91 ragtop. Many here own and have owned many more. Caritis can be cured however it involves an ice pick and has something to do with inserting in the eyes, sounds too painful and permanent.

While you can still see I suggest you start by going to reatta.net and giving the car the brake tests there. The Teves Brakes are very efficient however are prone to fail if not properly cared for. Flushing every couple of years is a must, most owners have had to replace the Accumulator...........dealers and most mechanics are not familiar w/ the brake system and costs for repairs are extreme when they start their remove and replace procedures. Pay particular attention to instructions for filling the brake reservoir, the last Reatta I looked at was overfilled and fluid was seeping out the top (some report bursting of the reservoir because of this).

Oil Pressure Senders/Transmitters are another item that seem to fail often.

Unless recently replaced, I suspect you need shocks? I put Monroe Sensi-Tracs on both current cars-great on the ragtop but seem stiff on the coupe.

You can probably look forward to repairing the headlamp motor or bell crank but full instructions are at the above site and Barney sells rebuilts. You will probably want a dash cover as I have found the glare unacceptable w/o one. Barney also sells these and his new ones are a great improvement over the old (90 and 91).

I have probably asked several hundred questions here and all have been answered, saving many $$. Ask away. Well, almost all=the pin in the convertible door?

Welcome to the forum.

Good luck with your Reatta.

Mechanicals with these cars are usually easy being

the popular Buick 3800 engine.

Body parts and interior is where Reattas part company

with the GM stable.

So when in doubt ordering just say Riviera.