dynaflow flush

ggerdez

Does anyone have experience with flushing his dynaflow transmission

with transmission flush

( http://www.mightyautoparts.com/products/products_vs7_trans.html )

My buick special from 1950 has been staled for 25 years and I think that there is some old sticky oil in the converter.

I wanted to flush the transmission but a tranny repairman told me that the sticky oil will stick to an other part in the transmission and will not come out when I flush it.

Does anyone tried this and does it help because I think that the repair shop wants to make some extra money by removing the tranny.

Thanks for your help

The convertor will not be flushed as it will fill with the new oil, and that will stay in the convertor. If there is old oil in the convertor, the only way to remove it is to remove the convertor. Some of the early dynaflows had a convertor drain plug. If you are lucky enough to have one, you can drain the convertor, run the car for awhile, drain it again and that should help.

If you don't have a drain plug in the converter, put one in!!

Simple, have done it many times. Drill a hole in the lower part of the converter, tap it to 1/8 npt, and go for it! Put grease in the flute of the drill, and the tap, to collect any fileings.

As stated above, run it, get it hot before draining. Put in some flush and get it mixed up good before draining.

If you don't have a drain plug in the converter, put one in!!

Simple, have done it many times. Drill a hole in the lower part of the converter, tap it to 1/8 NPT, and go for it!

Put grease in the flute of the drill, and the tap, to collect any fileings.

As stated above, run it, get it hot before draining. Put in some flush and get it mixed up good before draining.

Don't forget to plug the hole with an 1/8" NPT plug.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like there used to be a Mopar Performance kit to add a drain plug to a torque converter . . . which included not only the plug itself, but also a counterbalance weight to go on the opposite side of the front of the converter. Might also be a B&M kit too.

Key thing would be to make sure that any metal shavings from the drilling operations did not get into the converter.

If you are going to "flush" the system, perhaps one of the best would be to have a competent shop do a transmission flush (without their fancy chemicals involved, but only fresh ATF) on the vehicle. This way, you'd get the cooler lines (if applicable) and ALL of the fluid changed. Many car dealers do this, but finding one with the best machine could be the trick, plus a hookup adapter that would work with your vehicle.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

If you do use a pipe plug use a socket head type that takes an allen wrench. The weight of the plug should be very close to the weight of the removed material. I don't think there would be a balance problem.....Bob