Wheel bolt torque 1950 Super

50jetback

Has anyone had trouble with wheel bolts coming loose, particularly left front and rear wheels? and if so what is the solution?

I am currently having a problem keeping them tight on my 1950 Super Jetback coupe. It's a real pain pulling off the spats and hubcaps to check them every time I use the car.

What should I torque the bolts up to apart from "bloody tight".

To what level are you torquing them now? 80-90 lb-ft. should be sufficient for most automobiles. Do you have a good torque wrench you can use to check them? That's critical. You could put a dab of blue Lok-Tite on the threads before threading them in to help keep them in place, too, but if you get to that point, perhaps there is some other problem like stripped threads or a bent wheel hub or flange.

Hope this helps.

I would also recommend checking the rim('s) especially if you have radial tires on there. I had a situation with losing hubcaps on one rim. Shortly thereafter the bead broke on that rim. Just weakened from age, rust and spilled battery acid too.

Anyway if your rims are flexing under use, I would think that may cause lugs to loosen.

JD

"bloody tight" or as mentioned about 90 psi. I lost a left front tire on a 55 Buick and that was no fun. It happened about 15 miles after I had a set of new tires mounted. All of the lugs were loose, but the tire shop blamed it on the fact that I had just painted the rims. I think they just forgot to torque the lugs. Anyhow they paid to make every thing right.

Willie