1954 Roadmaster Convertible

Guest imported_MrEarl

Guest imported_MrEarl

Does anyone know this car or perhaps seen it in person. Does anyone ever recall it being shown at a BCA event. I was surprised at the reserve. I consider $29,000 for this car to be rather low unless there are some issues with it. I'd be interested to know how correctly it was restored. I have asked for additional pictures but have not received anything. 54 Roadmaster on Ebay

Nice looking car, but I bet the interior is incorrect. I would doubt the red paint on the dash and the black steering wheel. And are the seats Tan, White or a combo? That does not look like something the factory would have done in 54.

But it is a nice looking car.

JD

Lamar,

That is a stunning car no matter if it is technically a 400 point car. The seller points out in the auction that the color is a correct color and you would want a closer look at the interior to determine it's correctness. I know you have all the 54 Buick literature so you should be able to determine correctness. The seller I see has 0 feedback so he has either mismanaged his auction set up as some 1st timers do, or the car is not all it's cracked up to be. As a 1st timer, I see his description is minimal. I always thought with a high dollar car like this, description should be detailed and complete - no surprises.

Even at $29,000, buyer beware. I would want to see in person or talk extensively over the phone with the seller. I would want more photos and receipts of work done. Also, I didn't note the time left but this may end at $35,000 to $40,000 and so then it's in the ballpark of correct value for this car. (I think mid 50's C Body convertibles are in the $40,000 to $60,000 range now - pre Scottsdale)

That's a real honey, Lamar.

I haven't ever seen it but you are right. $29k seems a bit low. Maybe he hasn't ever watched the Speed channel. You know odd colors did come direct from the factory though. My car was originally a tri-tone (Cascade blue, Dover white, and whatever they called the beige below the trim) with the two-tone grey interior. Along with black, that's six colors. Willie has a turquoise and white 55 with a red and white interior. I don't know first hand of the steering wheel not matching the dash, but it could have been ordered that way or (Mr. 54 expert) maybe all 54's had black steering wheels. (I admittedly don't know)

It sure would make a nice backdrop for more girls on Buicks pics though...... wink.gif

Good luck.

Mike

Guest imported_Thriller

Go ahead Lamar...you know you want it grin.gif It's up over $31k with over a day left. Who knows where it'll wind up? Perhaps people are steering away from bidding due to the small number of photos, lack of description, and lack of feedback. Then again, it could be someone who is perhaps somewhat naive or needs to sell it (estate or something like that).

There are a few members from MN here, so perhaps someone has seen the car before.

Guest imported_MrEarl

Willie,

this is about the third or fourth 54 Roadmaster convertible I've given ANY consideration to over the last 2-3 years. First off, I'd much more rather have a Century convertible than a Roadmaster. That way, I'm not trading off the beautiful Roadmaster Riviera style roof line.

And re what you said about the restoration costs... all the Roadmasters I've looked at that have been restored have not come close to being restored correctly enough to satisfy me. In other words I do not care to pay big bucks for a poorly restored car then have to as you stated pay double that again to get it right. And Im not speaking of this one specifically because the owner never sent any additional pictures or details. I suspect from the questions I asked he realized he didn't have what I was looking for.

I tried last year to buy a very solid, good glass, all interior intact running car for under 8,000. That would have allowed me to spend 30-40 more and end up with a car I would be happy with and not even consider selling...ever!! The 54 Roadmaster of my dreams was at Plano. Remember the white one with ORIGINAL interior.I think it had had a repaint but other than that I believe it was all original. I talked in length to the owner only to find out that he had just sold it. So yea, I'd love to find a truly correct restored or excellant original 1954 Roadmonster or Century for 30-40K but I don't think that is gonna happen.

Now re the "3rd row on a boar hog". You're gonna have to explain that one to me Doc. If I'm reading you right, here in Georgia we consider anything but the center "row" as useless.

Seriously, I have never owned a convertible and don't know 100% sure that I would like one all that much. Any insight into that would be appreciated. What are the bad points. Maybe I don't even need to be looking for a "3rd row"... tongue.gif

For what it's worth Lamar, we've had at least one convertible for all of my 40+years on the planet. Much more useful than a station wagon as everything fits when the top is down.

My biggest gripe about modern Buicks ( and other cars ) is the lack of a practical, 4-6 passenger convertible at a reasonable price.

Drawbacks--top up, they are noisy, provide virtually no crash or roll over protection. There is just a thin piece of canvas between you and the sky so....

They can leak, they can rattle, body adjustments can be a nightmare after restoration as the body, especially on 50's cars relying on the frame for strength. Same drawbacks as 2 and 4 door hardtops but more so due to lack of roof structure tying the basic body together.

However-there is no better car to come out to after a hard day at work-drop the top, hit the freeway and all your cares are blown away. With the wrap around windshield, you may find that the wind noise and wind buffeting that happens on new convertibles does not happen.

And then of course we have the judges that haven't a clue about tops that actually have to work and maybe get rained on occasionally. Too tight and they don't work--or when they shrink ( and they ALL shrink a bit--and sometimes stretch out in the heat ), so we play the point deduction game for "top fit." Or even better, the tops will show wrinkles if they ever go down so that can be a deduction too.

For this reason a lot of people with convertibles do not ever lower the top which is really dumb. If you don't like riding with the top down, stick with hardtops and leave the convertibles to those who will use them as they were built to be used.

If you're really interested in that car, hop on a plane and go look at it before you do your final bid. The plane ticket isn't that expensive compared to the price of the car. Only you can really make the decision as to what the car is worth. However, you and the wife might want to rent a modern convertible for a week or so at some point before you spend big $ on one just to see how you like driving around in an open car and more importantly, how SHE likes it. Just remember that most modern convertibles are pretty awful on the freeway-lack of wind wings and other compromises in modern design really ups the wind buffeting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> However-there is no better car to come out to after a hard day at work-drop the top, hit the freeway and all your cares are blown away. </div></div>

Absolutely right on point BR. A lot of what you said is so correct, ESPECIALLY the part about your wife liking it too. No truer words were ever said.

But Mr. Earl, if I may... Get the Roadie. Those frameless vent windows are so cool. And the dip in the window welt line adds so much to the design. And if it is not restored correctly, then you can drive drive drive, and who cares? 98% of the people out there will never know the mistakes that were made.

JD

JD

Guest chriscraft

Lamar,

Convertibles are addictive. Imagine this: You're twenty years old, it's late April and you're on the UGA campus. The halter tops are in bloom. See the advantage of a convertible?

BTW the wrap around windshield may do a very good job of wind protection at freeway speeds. When I mentioned the lack of vent windows making a less pleasant ride I was speaking of my experience with 60's and up models that had no vent window and a regular slanted a post.

Seriously Lamar-if it's a car you're serious about, go see it in person. A little MN snow will melt when you get back to GA.

This time I 100% agree with BUICKS RULE. In every 3 plus car collection a person needs a convertible. I sold my 73 Centurion convertible 4 months ago and now regret it.

I was 30 years old when I had my 1st convertible experience. I purchased a 64 Electra convertible with 2x4 motor and posi. Totally rusted out but ran good. I am only 5'4" and couldn't get the power seat to move because of rust in the floorboard! But I worked in the mall in town and in the summer I would get off at 9pm when the sun was just going down, stressed out, tired then on the 15 minute drive home it would all be gone because of that convertible.

I don't know how old you are Lamar but look at it this way. Any convertible enjoyed now is better then "woulda coulda shoulda" when it's too late. I do agree that there is no need to get a Roadmaster convertible given you lose the beautiful hardtop styling.

Guest imported_MrEarl

Well, as of this morning in my humble opinion she's in the price range of where a # 2 54 Roady Convertible should be...in the 40's. There appear to be some serious bidders and I expect it to end in the high 40's maybe even mid 50's. Again IMHO a # 1 100 point car such as this, in the right arena, might fetch upwards of 80-100,000. Personally I knew it was over for me when it hit the mid 30's. Anymore than that and I'd be looking at pulling my daughter out of college, telling my son to plan on joining the Marines, and extending my future retirement out ANOTHER 5 years.

I am wondering why the seller set such a low reserve. Typically one sets a reserve at a price of what they feel the car is worth or at a reasonable market value. Surely this person knows what it's worth. That said, I would certainly hope those high bidders have personally inspected the car. Just from the photos, I question the correctness of the interior, the abscense of hood insulation and he stated to me that the trunk material was the same as the interior carpet. that is what scared me away.Granted those issues can be corrected for probably a few thousand bucks but if those critical issues were not correctly performed during the initial resto then just what was the quality of the restoration.

I see it listed in the 05 BCA roster and am surprised no one on here is familiar with the car.

So, yea, I could get into cruising around with my lovely Rita in a convertible but I think it will be a few years and likely a souped up Century...driver condition. And besides, I've already got two 54 Roadmaster convertibles........ they're just hardtops, that's all. wink.gif

I've just gotta agree with you on the therapeutic value of a convert. That's the excuse I used when I got the 02 TA ( my humble apologies for not being a Buick, but if Buick offered a ragtop in 02.... it would have been a Buick).

I have always driven Buicks, and still have my first, the 38. ( and no, I didn't buy it new... or it would be a convert too).

I've had 5 ragtops, and still have 2. Many good memories and too much fun to admit to.

If the 54 is getting out of your price range, look for a nice Buick driver, any year. You'll never regret it.

Guest imported_MrEarl

$50,100.........Fifty-thousand, one hundred dollars and 0/00 cents

Boy how I would like to be writing a check to Mr Benhardus right now. Check out the bidders list. That was some frenzied bidding in the last 5 minutes. I had just told my son that that frankandco was gonna put in a last minute bid. Anybody know who he is. And I wonder who the xxxy guy is. I know he thought he had it. BOY that was fun. OK Rita where did you hide the mouse. And get this d*** straight jacket offa me!!

I guess that was just a warm up for Barret Jackson. yeeehaaaaaaaa

Dear MrEarl,Well we learned a couple of things here....1.In spite of having 6 54 Buicks you have shown us that you DO have some common sense.2.Rita likes to shocked.giftie shocked.gif you up .You gotta buy a drop top theres ALMOST nothin like it,YOU know how much that Terry loves to ride around topless.diz smile.giflaugh.giftongue.gif

Lamar--they'll be a car more to your liking in your future. Since you always pick 54's, maybe Rita should choose the convertible and find something that SHE likes to drive while you ride shotgun and wave to the people as you pass by.

It's auction season. Don't be shocked if this same car shows up at one of the name auctions later this month or sometime between now and Auburn. Wouldn't be the first time someone tried to make a quick, fast buck on a red convertible.

Another thought--if you're really interested in a car, use the BCA Roster to find a member close to the car and ask them if they'll go see it and shoot a roll of film ( or digital if posssible ). I've done that for friends in the past.

Guest AthensCenturion

Mr. Earl...No doubt about it, convertibles RULE! I can't wait for the first spring day to show you what I mean. I sold my first one 20 years ago and never forgave myself.

Now that I have the 73 Centurion again, I will never be without one.

Guest 53Nailhead

Lamar, what's another 5,6,7,10,15 years in the construction game...not like it's stressful or anything grin.gifgrin.gif Beautiful car but theres not to many from that era I don't like.

Les